Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Basic Fermentation Temperature Question  (Read 4314 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Basic Fermentation Temperature Question
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:50:05 am »
Mill?  I thought you just used two rocks and an oversized right arm.   ;)

ROTFLMAO!  :D
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:00 am »
Mill?  I thought you just used two rocks and an oversized right arm.   ;)

Back in the days of rcb, we used to talk about having your grains crushed by vestal virgins...

Actually, I put the grains in a bag on the driveway and drive my car over it.  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:01 am »
Actually, I put the grains in a bag on the driveway and drive my car over it.  ;)

That's funny.  About 20 years ago, I remember a local Chinese restaurant getting closed down by the health inspectors because that's how they were shredding their cabbage.  Yeah, you could do all this chopping and boiling and whatnot, or you could put it in a duffel bag and run it over with your Buick.  That's pretty much how it was reported on the news.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:34 am »
You guys should start a new thread. "Show us your ghetto brewery"  ;D

It would add a whole new dimension to the term "Pimp your system . . . " :)

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »
Should I be looking at temp control, regardless of basement good fortune? 

For most ales, it sounds like you've already got good temperature control. As long as the temperature doesn't swing too much and you're happy with the beers you're brewing, why change things?

If you're worried about temperature rising too much you can use a swamp cooler. If you're worried about temperature swings, you can created an insulated box to put over your carboy.

The only reason I see for going to the expense of extra appliances and temperature controls is if you're wanting to go beyond ales and brew styles where you need either a chilly fermentation temperature and/or a period of cold conditioning.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »

That's funny.  About 20 years ago, I remember a local Chinese restaurant getting closed down by the health inspectors because that's how they were shredding their cabbage.  Yeah, you could do all this chopping and boiling and whatnot, or you could put it in a duffel bag and run it over with your Buick.  That's pretty much how it was reported on the news.
Love it. Pragmatic? No, Buick with automatic.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »
Let's talk mills - Denny, you've got a JSP right?  What about you Dave? :)

JSP?  What's that?

I absolutely refused to buy a grain mill due to the cost, but I did accept one as a gift for Christmas a couple years ago.  I am now the very happy owner of a BarleyCrusher malt mill, with premium aluminium body and 7-lb hopper.  But before that, I sincerely used a blender to "crush" all of my grains -- and I did this successfully for about 30 batches.  Works great, if you're super cheap like me.

I win.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.