Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole sour cherry source?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
Whole sour cherry source?
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »
Was wanting to find a source for some whole sour cherries (pits and all).  Anyone have a good one?

Seems like here in Washington, all we have are sweet varieties readily available which I've read don't really impart a true 'cherry' flavor.

Also, I'll do some googling on general use, but what have been folks experiences in say, aging a Porter or Stout on them?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Whole sour cherry source?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
You could try the Yakima Fruit Market in Bothell.  I don't get there much anymore, but they always had a good variety of fruit.  They might not carry them on hand, but if you talk to them they might be able to get you some.  Let me know if you need to order them in quantity, I'd be willing to split a crate.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:56 pm »
Oh yeah!  Will have to check it out - it's just a mile or so from my house! 

Will definitely let you know what I uncover...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:25:24 pm »
Don't you have an orchard nearby where you can pick your own?  You're looking for Montmorency cherries.  We've got billions of 'em for the pickin' here in Wisconsin (or at least we will in the next month or two).  Self-picked they are cheaper, and picking them is half the fun anyway!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »
The cherry orchards are east of the Cascades, 3-6 hours away.  It would make for a fun trip, but I wouldn't exactly call it nearby. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:17:23 pm »
Also, confirmed at least from our large Farmer's Market, Sour Cherries are a rare breed out here.  Rainier and Bing are the big crops here.  Great for snacking, pretty blah in a beer from what I've read.

In fact, Tom - the Yakima Fruit Market said the only tart cherries they get (if any) are from Western Washington and appear around mid-end July.  Gonna put my name on a list though so they can call me if\when they do get them.

Drew, I was attracted to the descriptions of the almond-like flavors the pits add, but if I've got no other option, King looks like the next best option - thanks!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »
Also, confirmed at least from our large Farmer's Market, Sour Cherries are a rare breed out here.  Rainier and Bing are the big crops here.  Great for snacking, pretty blah in a beer from what I've read.

In fact, Tom - the Yakima Fruit Market said the only tart cherries they get (if any) are from Western Washington and appear around mid-end July.  Gonna put my name on a list though so they can call me if\when they do get them.

Drew, I was attracted to the descriptions of the almond-like flavors the pits add, but if I've got no other option, King looks like the next best option - thanks!

I think you can get a spice made from cherry pits in some middleeastern markets. I am blanking on the name right now (mahleb?) that is suppsed to give some of that almond like character. There is a thread on it somewhere on this board.

and here it is, I got the name right! amazing
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=2287.msg26860#msg26860
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »
In fact, Tom - the Yakima Fruit Market said the only tart cherries they get (if any) are from Western Washington and appear around mid-end July.  Gonna put my name on a list though so they can call me if\when they do get them.
I know there are several farms out by Spokane that grow "pie" cherries, but they don't give a varietal.  You might be able to call them.  I've got my one montmorency tree, I'm hoping to get some this year.  The birds ate them all last year.  The year before I got 4 or 5.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:18:33 am »
Cool Tom - I've got family in Spokane and further north, will have to do some asking around!  Wow, you made quite a haul last year :-P   Actually, I remember now my neighbor cut down a Cherry tree a few years back - I remember being annoyed at the time because the pits it left all over my driveway...stuck to tires, shoes, etc.  Wonder what they were now!

Wow, mahleb sounds really interesting morticaixavier!  I'm not sure how the 'floral notes' would go in Porter, but I will definitely track some down and give it a try in something.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:58 am »
Wow, mahleb sounds really interesting morticaixavier!  I'm not sure how the 'floral notes' would go in Porter, but I will definitely track some down and give it a try in something.

I can't speak to it directly as I have never used it. but from that thread it sound good. I would think a little floral character would be nice in a dark bear. kind of like a light roast south american coffee
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce