Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquor in Airlock Leaked into Fermenter  (Read 4490 times)

Offline b-rad

• 1st Kit
Liquor in Airlock Leaked into Fermenter
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:44 am »
Hey all,
Brewed my first batch yesterday, an Amber ale kit from Midwest.  Lot's of fun & work but a couple concerns.  Primarily I'm concerned about liquor I used to fill the airlock leaking into the fermenter, about a tablespoon or a little less, anyone capable of commenting on this?

Thanks,
B-rad

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Liquor in Airlock Leaked into Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:08 am »
Np problem whatsoever.  When I started brewing I used vodka in the airlocks.  When it ran out I switched to water with no ill effects.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
That small amount of liquor won't impact the flavor of your beer. I'm assuming you used vodka or something similar? And welcome to the forum!
Mark Gres

Offline b-rad

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:03 am »
Thanks for the replies! 
Yes, I used Bacardi Rum, nothing flavored, as i realized too late i had no vodka and/or ready sterile water.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:25:58 pm »
I just use some idophor. I save a little from my sanitation dance and replace it once in a while ussualy when checking gravity.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:25:29 pm »
Can you ever taste the iodophor when it gets sucked in to the beer?  I've had some homebrews that had a distinct iodophor taste.  I would go with something more neutral in the airlock.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:45 pm »
Ever since I was told about using vodka in the airlock that is all I use.  Works great and no worries about tainting the flavor of your beer.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »
I like StarSan.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:50 pm »
Tap water
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:30:04 pm »
Can you ever taste the iodophor when it gets sucked in to the beer?  I've had some homebrews that had a distinct iodophor taste.  I would go with something more neutral in the airlock.

It rarely happens cause I usually use the S-Type locks. but when it has I haven't noticed the flavor. I am not using straight out of the bottle idophor. just a normal solution. Maybe a little stronger. But I figure between what is left clinging to my racking cane and hoses and the thief I use to take samples and the auto-siphon and the keg or bottles I bottle in an extra .25-.5 ounces isn't gonna make a big deal. But I don't have the most sophisticated palette either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:59 pm »

It rarely happens cause I usually use the S-Type locks. but when it has I haven't noticed the flavor. I am not using straight out of the bottle idophor. just a normal solution. Maybe a little stronger. But I figure between what is left clinging to my racking cane and hoses and the thief I use to take samples and the auto-siphon and the keg or bottles I bottle in an extra .25-.5 ounces isn't gonna make a big deal. But I don't have the most sophisticated palette either.
Fair enough ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:15 am »
Tap water

Pragmatism gold star for the day!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »

I've tasted this problem as well, although I think that it's more likely that the iodine flavor was caused by not letting the bottles dry after rinsing with Iodophor.

For airlocks I use sterilized water or cooking sherry. Cooking sherry is much cheaper than vodka, and the amount of salt and sherry is sufficiently small that it won't cause problems if some of it gets sucked into the beer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »
I don't know about the prices of cooking sherry, but I can get a handle of cheap vodka for about $12.  Previous one was Wolfschmidt, current is either Dmitri or Popov.  That's pretty cost effective.

I wouldn't drink it, even if I drank vodka, but then I don't buy it for drinking.

I certainly wouldn't use anything you might keep in your liquor cabinet.  That would be plain wasteful.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
I presume that the point of using alcohol in the airlock is to inhibit microbial growth.  Is cooking sherry strong enough to do that?

FWIW, I'm a tap water guy.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?