Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Arkansas, Chicago, NYC  (Read 5895 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Arkansas, Chicago, NYC
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:07:05 am »
Revolution Brewing in Chicago. http://revbrew.com/ I got to finally check them out a couple weeks ago. Great beer and food. If you want to travel out to the burbs of Chicago, check out Two Brothers Brewing. http://www.twobrothersbrewing.com/ I might be able to meet up with you for a couple beers when you're in town, just let me know when.

Ah yeah I forgot about those guys! How is Piece these days? When I went there a few times back when I lived in Chicago I loved it.
Haven't been to Piece in a while, but I'm sure they're still cranking out great beers and pizza. You should make your way there as well.

I skip Piece and go to Revolution. It's only a couple more stops on the Blue Line and I love the place. Also a lower hipster quotient than Piece, which makes me feel old when I walk in. You must have the bacon popcorn at Revolution.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:07 am »
live west of chicago about 35 miles. if you are going to be in the naperville area let me know.  the two brothers brewery is relatively close buy
Don AHA member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:43 pm »
Both Metropolitan Brewing and Half Acre (small local breweries) are near the Hop Leaf in Andersonville.

I've not been out to Revolution so I can't speak to that, but the Hop Leaf has awesome food and great beer.  I think you could do a tour of Metropolitan and walk right over to the Hop Leaf.  Michael really knows his Belgian beers and they make some mussels in beer that are out of this world.

There's also a boutique distillery in the same building as Metropolitan.  I'm going there for a bourbon tasting in a couple weeks, which I'm looking forward to.

If you get up this way, let me know.  Third kid is coming any day now, so my availability is always in question, though the wife also loves going to the Hop Leaf.

EDIT: Of course, this is all in Chicago. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:26:50 pm by Joe Dunne »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
In Little Rock my vote is Vino's. Boscos was good as was Flying Saucer, but I enjoyed Vino's brews quite a bit. Bill is heavy handed with the hops.

In NYC I've not had time to do much beer, but I would suggest The Gingerman on E 36th.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:46 pm »
Last time we were in Chicago we went to the Map Room (a favorite), Revolution Brewing (very good), and Haymarket ( this one had some excellent beers and food, but what is up with all of the big screens?).

Hopleaf is good, but pretty far north.  My wife does not vote for Piece, as the pizza is not that good and the best beers are always out when we are there.

Owen and Engine has gotten some good write ups.

We enjoyed Publican for a lunch, and it is along the Gastropub lines, but more Gastro than Pub.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 07:45:22 am »
October 16th is the Bears/Vikings game, I'm planning on buying a bunch of tickets (if possible) and was wondering if any of you Midwest locals want to join us for tailgaiting and the game. PM me if you're interested.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »
Gingerman in NY (www.gingerman-ny.com) is also pretty cool - I travel there for business a few times a year and that is usually my hangout - will try to find the Blind Tiger next time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »
Gingerman in NY (www.gingerman-ny.com) is also pretty cool - I travel there for business a few times a year and that is usually my hangout - will try to find the Blind Tiger next time.
You won't regret that decision.  Gingerman is nice, but not intimate like Blind Tiger.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:39 pm »
In NYC, there's Heartland Brewery which has five locations (really cool place), also the Chelsea Brewing Company which I recently judged the third largest homebrew competition (this side of the Mississippi), then there's Times Square Brewery, and the West End Brewery (a Columbia University student hangout) which are also great stops.

If you want a more family-centered atmosphere, especially on weekend afternoons, the Heartland Brewery's 43rd Street location is the place to go. Check out Heartland Brewery's more edgy BBQ headquarters  8), Spanky's, which is next door, before making a choice.  :)

Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:51:17 am »
In NYC, there's Heartland Brewery which has five locations (really cool place), also the Chelsea Brewing Company which I recently judged the third largest homebrew competition (this side of the Mississippi), then there's Times Square Brewery, and the West End Brewery (a Columbia University student hangout) which are also great stops.

If you want a more family-centered atmosphere, especially on weekend afternoons, the Heartland Brewery's 43rd Street location is the place to go. Check out Heartland Brewery's more edgy BBQ headquarters  8), Spanky's, which is next door, before making a choice.  :)

I try as hard as possible to avoid everything between 5th and 7th and 39th and 48th excluding Bryant Park. It's tourist trap central. Heartland brewery has a good location in Union Square (or they did when I lived there) - but unfortunately it looks like we're holding off on NYC this time around, instead focusing on Chicago and Arkansas. We'll be in NYC in Feb or March though.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!