Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Pets  (Read 12246 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Tell Us About Your Pets
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
Wow and she didn't have any issues from that experience?

Cookie still gets separation anxiety from time to time if we leave her alone. I attribute it to the time in the shelter and the getting returned.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:55 pm »
I have two cats. Both rescues. The big one is Gatito (I didn't want to name him since we were only
going to foster him until he found a home, and that he did) and the calico is Butterfly. Both aprox. 6 years old

Dusty was our black lab. He lived with my parents. He passed a couple of years ago.
He was fantastic, great personality. My favorite memory is that we had taught him how to
ask to go outside for potty breaks. We tied about 3 large christmas jingle balls on a string
and tied it to the sliding glass door. We used his nose to ring the bells every time we sent
him out. It worked like a charm. Coming back in he devised his own method. We would go
to the butcher and get the cow femurs with no meat left on them and he would chew on them for
a month. Well, no bells on the outside so he would bring the bone to the door and drop it on the
cedar deck we had. It was loud, and hilarious at first. He trained us pretty quick to let him back
in asap when we heard the loud bouncing thump. He made it to about 15 years old. His age in the pic.

He was a pure pup. Both his parents were certified, (Mom got out of the yard one day and we
got a call, "Want a puppy?" ;D 8) ) the rest is history.

edited grammer and spelin... ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:00:00 pm by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
I had two standard poodles. great dogs.  the girl has been saddened at the loss of her mate. Stanley developed bone cancer last fall and lost his front left leg.  we had hoped there were no mets. but around early january he lost the ability to walk with his back legs.  we waited a few days for my sons to come home from college - they carried him the mile loop at our local dog park in freezing weather.  we bought him a mcdonalds burger and a wendy's frosty, then the vet came and put him down in our home.  this is still breaking us up.  I will see if i can figure out how to put a picture on
Don AHA member

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »
@Drew - she has some separation anxiety - I guess I never attributed it to the shelter return issues till now, rather I assumed it was just personality. When we got her, she had virtually no hair on the back half of her body, clearly stressed out beyond belief - she was at the shelter for over 6 months, and we sorta got the feeling that she was running out of hope.  Fate works mysteriously - without a doubt, meeting her was one of the best things to ever happen in my life.

@Weithmann - my thoughts go out to you guys - made me very sad to read that.

@rabid_dingo - wow - I felt like I was looking at my guy;  you'll see him again one day.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »
thanks blatz.  i appreciate it.  i keep cheering myself up watching ultimate dog tease on you tube. if you haven't seen that one.i recommend it.
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:36:24 pm »
A couple of shelter cats.

Koenig is about 8 years old, and is the King of the house.  A 'Tuxedo' cat, think Sylvester from the cartoons.

Duvel is 7 years old.  All black, and he can tend to put on some weight, but is fairly lean right now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »
From the well renowned Springset Kennel, Springset What A Boy. "Max". "Maxieboy", one of his several nicknames, was whelped in 2002. A Gordon Setter. The Black and Tan Bombshell. This breed had gone the way of the Irish Setter, bred for size and conformation with little to no regard for intelligence. Norm Sorby, owner of Springset, is widely credited with turning the breed around and producing fine field dogs. Beauty, Brains, and Birdsense are the words used to describe the breed. Max is all of those and more. Affectionate, vocal, lots of personality and a serious work ethic. He is a fine companion and is a true joy at home and in the field. Mr. Sorby had talked his dogs up to me when I was looking for a Gordon(my 8.5 yr. old grouse machine Ryman/Old Hemlock English Setter had gotten through an accidentally open gate, was hit and killed by a car, and I couldn't bear the thought of another ES but wanted another bird dog) and I thought he was putting a sell job on me. Wrong. If anything, he was understating the facts. I'll round up a pic. Here's a representative:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:37:29 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »
Nice to see so many of you have taken in shelter animals. Here are our two shelter girls that are just over a year old. They are the friendliest cats I've ever known and race to the door whenever anyone comes by.

Fuggles. The mellower girl, who likes to sit on laps. And kitchen counters.

Her super high energy sister Molly. She'll sit on my lap when she's tired, which happens about twice a day.

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

ccarlson

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »
Yup, no kennel dogs for me. Only rescues. Sometimes they can come with some issues, but overall, I think they make better pets.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
Monty aka lil' sh*t (right) is a 7 years old king charles cavalier spaniel with the nose of a beagle, and temperament of a house cat.  Obsessive lapdog, bird watcher and squirrel chaser.  He is generally my brew day partner and loves his beer.

Boomer (left) our 7.5 year old aussie shepherd was rescued 5.5 years ago.  Energetic, frisbee loving, fetch for hours, softy. He loves being around people and occasionally herding any who stray.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:22:21 pm by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 06:12:07 pm »
Nice to see so many of you have taken in shelter animals. Here are our two shelter girls that are just over a year old. They are the friendliest cats I've ever known and race to the door whenever anyone comes by.

Fuggles. The mellower girl, who likes to sit on laps. And kitchen counters.

Our Fuggles is much mellower(and just plain weird) than her sister Hops, who got that name because she's extremely jumpy.
They came from the shelter, Cornnflake was rescued from a bunch of rock throwing kids at my daughter's high school and Salvador and his intestinal parasite showed up in a thunderstorm last fall.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 06:22:56 pm »
my current beast is Zaya, a 6 year old rottie/marema cross. started out as a 'free puppy' and has ended up being the most expensive dog I've ever owned. as a puppy, her picture was in the dictionary under 'High Maintenance b****' >:(

several costly operations, but she's been trouble free for the last several years and has matured into a really loving, but seemingly protective dog. she's 80 lbs, with a deep bark that she uses to intimidate anyone that comes near. but she's all bark, no bite... which is as it should be. truly a sweetheart, and she is the 2nd easiest dog to train I've ever had. my purebred rottie b**** was the easiest, if you made her understand what you wanted her to do it was a done deal.

my last cat died several years back at 19 years of age. full life, and a very happy one till the last 6 months. no new replacement kitty, though that'll probably happen as the wife keeps telling me how cute EVERY kitten we see is.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 06:33:54 pm »
Here's our "Soot", we rescued her at about 1 yr old and while were weren't sure about her earlier life, she was definitely an escape artist.  She made it to 14 yrs old until we finally had to have her put down a few years back...

Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »
Here's the Brew Dawgpound. They love when I break out the camera.  ;D

From left to right: Louis - 4yr old YorkiePoo, Muddy - 4yr old Chocolate Lab, Georgie - 5yr old Beagle, Diem - 5yr old Pit mix and Mickey - 9 yr old Poodlemix

Louis and Muddy are our boys. Diem is my youngest daughters and Georgie is my oldest daughters. Mickey resides with my sister.

This is my rescued boy BB. This pic is titled "Boo in a flue"

Here he is posing.

This is my rescued girl Lucy. She's now 11 years old.

These animals bring great joy to our hearts. We love them dearly. The Yorkie and Lab love to hang out when I brew.  :)
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
That's a good looking pack.