Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Pets  (Read 12235 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Tell Us About Your Pets
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 06:00:15 am »
goldens are a great breed for your situation.... very gentle, loving, great with kids. a puppy will help your wife get over her fear. and don't be afraid of puppies. as long as you understand they are puppies (and the sometimes destructive, chewy behaviors that go with that) you'll get them past that stage and have a lot of fun doing it. watching the pup grow up with your kids is priceless.

if you establish that you are alpha right from the start, and make going out on the leash a fun thing, the dog will associate the leash with going out for walks, rides, etc and will be happy as soon as you pick up the leash. it's not hard to train a dog to come, sit, heel. just make it part of the walk with lots of praise. a well trained dog is easy & fun to take out places - so both you and the dog will get the benefits. firm & loving, and above all consistent - just like with children.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:12 am »
Other thing is wanting to keep the dog inside. All of our friends here are of the "dog is always outside" mindset, but I prefer to have the dog inside. How do you guys do it?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:38 am »
Other thing is wanting to keep the dog inside. All of our friends here are of the "dog is always outside" mindset, but I prefer to have the dog inside. How do you guys do it?

a dog should always be inside especially if you only have one.  they are pack animals.  forcing them to stay outside is cruel. 

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 07:31:09 am »

My dogs are my companions, not a yard ornament. Why even have a dog if it's gonna be relegated to a kennel or corner of the yard?
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

ccarlson

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 07:31:26 am »

a dog should always be inside especially if you only have one.  they are pack animals.  forcing them to stay outside is cruel. 

I have a doggy door. They are free to do whatever they want.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 07:39:48 am »
Good stuff, thanks for the conversational ammo guys.

One last question! We want to find a good (ONLINE) video training series so we can be prepared for how to train a puppy. Any recommendations?
----

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 07:43:36 am »
my dog came out of the stream at the dog park the other day and a lady said "you must not have a very nice car to let your dog get dirty and wet like that".  I replied "maybe not, but i have a very nice dog"
Don AHA member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 08:06:09 am »
my dog came out of the stream at the dog park the other day and a lady said "you must not have a very nice car to let your dog get dirty and wet like that".  I replied "maybe not, but i have a very nice dog"

I think the proper response would have been, 'my manservant says the leather cleans up easily.'

Edit to say: Where do you live that people actually SAY things like that?
----

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:50 am »
I can see that happening in Naperville.  Happens here too.

Google Cesar Milan - I'm pretty sure he has a training video series.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 08:31:18 am »

My dogs are my companions, not a yard ornament. Why even have a dog if it's gonna be relegated to a kennel or corner of the yard?

To do what they were origially domesticated for, guarding/sentry, herding, hunting/tracking, retrieving...  Working dogs and their masters can be very close and affectionate - and the dogs live outside of the home.  There is nothing cruel and unusual about that.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:38 am »
my dog is inside with us when we're home, outside when we're not. she's totally cool with that and is 'on the job' guarding so doesn't mind being outside when she knows we're not there.

sorry, I'm not familiar with video training sources. I've had dogs all my life and just do it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 08:47:39 am »
my dog came out of the stream at the dog park the other day and a lady said "you must not have a very nice car to let your dog get dirty and wet like that". 

"Oh no, my truck has a real nice dog carrier in it.  You'd look right at home riding in there too."

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:37 am »
Good stuff, thanks for the conversational ammo guys.

One last question! We want to find a good (ONLINE) video training series so we can be prepared for how to train a puppy. Any recommendations?

I like this one. http://Http://trainingpositive.com
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:26 am »

Once you get your dog trained where to relieve itself and trained what it is allowed to chew on, you simply leave it in the house. I got Ralph to guard my house because I live alone and work second shift. He is alone in my house 9 hours 5 days a week. Never had any problems. When I am home we are joined at the hip so to speak.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:48 am »

To do what they were origially domesticated for, guarding/sentry, herding, hunting/tracking, retrieving...  Working dogs and their masters can be very close and affectionate - and the dogs live outside of the home.  There is nothing cruel and unusual about that.

True. I shoulda slipped an "IMO" in there.  ;)  I'm a little jaded because where I live now, there are a lot of dogs that are 100% ignored, barely sustained, and living a meaningless existence.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member