Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Trappist Beer  (Read 1880 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
New Trappist Beer
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
from my friend, Jim Ritchhart......
The cistercian monks of the abbey of the Mount des Cats, situated in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais, less than five kilometers from the Belgian border, are preparing to brew a blond beer that will conform to all the standards of a Trappist beer.  It would be the eighth beer of this type in the world.  The six Belgian Trappistes breweries are divided up on either side of the linguistic border, Westvleteren, Westmalle and Achel in Flanders; Chimay, Rochefort and Orval in Wallonia.  The Netherlands, LaTrappe from the monastery Koningshoeven (Tilburg) is also a Trappiste brewery.
France now completes this picture.  A beer already was brewed at the Mount des Cats in the second half of the 19th century.  The brewing activity however was interrupted at the beginning of the 20th century.
The new beer will become available June 16.  For material reasons, the beer is not currently being brewed within the abbey walls, but is being brewed at another Trappiste community having access to intermingling installations.  According to certain sources connected with the brewing, quoted by the Flemish media, the beer currently is produced at Chimay but the production could be transferred as early as the end of this year to the Mount des Cats.
The logo 'Authentic Trappist Product', affixed on the bottles of authentic Trappiste products will not appear initially on the label of the beer of the Mount des Cats.  The new beer will be subject to the regulations and requirements of the International Association Trappiste before being able to affix the official logo to the label.  The French abbey already produces cheese recognized by the Trappiste organization.  For the new beer to be qualified and recognized by the Trappiste organization, it must be brewed within the abbey walls and under the supervision of monks from that abbey.  In addition, a part of the income of the sale must be used for the upkeep and missions of that particular order.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Trappist Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
Cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »
Damnit and I just finished my collection of Trappist glasses!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »
Yet another reason to travel to the region!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »
My next big trip will be to Belgium.  :)
Ron Price

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:50 am »
As Denny said, cool!

I'm glad it's a Blond. Most people consider the Belgian Blond style to be a "starter" beer. I suspect because Blond in an American brewpub usually is a starter beer. I think it's an incredibly versatile style that is my favorite for drinking with meals.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:06 am »
I wonder if it will be a typical "Belgian blonde ale" as defined by the BJCP guidelines, or it is will be something different like Orval or one of the table-strength "singel/enkel" beers which generally don't get exported.