Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Steeping Roasted Grain  (Read 9144 times)

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
Cold Steeping Roasted Grain
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »
I've finally had enough encounters with folks advocating cold steeping of roasted grains that I'm going to give it a try.  I read the portion of Gordon Strong's book related to this topic but was left with a couple of questions:

1. Should I expect to get a similar intensity flavor profile from a given quantity of grain from cold steeping  vs. mashing? Will it be less and thus require a larger quantity of grain?

2. Gordon mentions using this technique for styles where you do not want a strong acrid roast character.  What about styles where you do want a little of that?  I was thinking of doing a robust porter...

3. What are people's general opinions about this technique for "roast forward" styles?

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Cold Steeping Roasted Grain
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »
really good article on it: http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/brewing/index.html

That article has you adding the steeped liquid to that last part of the boil which makes sense to me.  In Gordon's book, I think he refers to that as something like "cold steep with boil".  He also talks about something he refers to as "cold steep with no boil" where he says to add the steeped liquid directly to the fermenter.  That's been bugging me as I'd be worried about contamination/infection from the grain since it never gets boiled to kill off the nasties.
Joe

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »
Cold steeping will give you more of the color with less of the roasted character.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:17 am »
My replies are in bold.

I've finally had enough encounters with folks advocating cold steeping of roasted grains that I'm going to give it a try.  I read the portion of Gordon Strong's book related to this topic but was left with a couple of questions:

1. Should I expect to get a similar intensity flavor profile from a given quantity of grain from cold steeping  vs. mashing? Will it be less and thus require a larger quantity of grain? I use 1.5 to 2 times what the recipe calls for.

2. Gordon mentions using this technique for styles where you do not want a strong acrid roast character.  What about styles where you do want a little of that?  I was thinking of doing a robust porter...  I would mash the roast grains with the base grains.

3. What are people's general opinions about this technique for "roast forward" styles? For roast flavor it works well.  It eliminates the acrid, burnt, harsh flavors.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:17:26 am »
The other effect (benefit?) of separate steeping of roasted grain is that the mash water would not need to have much alkalinity to keep the mash pH from dropping too much.  I understand that Gordon uses RO water for much of his brewing and RO water does not have much alkalinity.  Cold steeping of those roast grains separate from the mash would help him achieve a desirable mash pH. 

Conversely if a brewer uses water with elevated alkalinity, you would probably be better off in using the acidity of the roast grains in your mash to help drop the mash pH into a desirable range. 

The effect of doing the mashing in either way can be evaluated pretty well using Bru'n Water.  Just add or remove the roasted or crystal grains from your mash bill and see what changes to the brewing water will be needed to produce an acceptable mash pH.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:50:57 am »
Cold steeping will give you more of the color with less of the roasted character.

Which you can also do with Sinamar if you're lazy like me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:49 am »
The other effect (benefit?) of separate steeping of roasted grain is that the mash water would not need to have much alkalinity to keep the mash pH from dropping too much.  I understand that Gordon uses RO water for much of his brewing and RO water does not have much alkalinity.  Cold steeping of those roast grains separate from the mash would help him achieve a desirable mash pH. 

Very true, Martin.  I use RO water and have adjusted for just the mashed grains, and the cold steeped grains and liquid are added at the begining of the sparge.

Will use Brunwater to see the difference for the next dark beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »
My main motivation is to be able to get more flavor from roasted grains in a few recipes without adding additional harshness or astringency.  I have pretty flexible water and have had success getting the right pH without crazy salt additions. 

I have a RIS right now that tastes pretty good but it keeps scoring in the 35 range because of a bit of astringency in the finish.  I'm not sure it's any harsher than some well-known commercial examples but many judges seem to think so.  I'm a little leary of adding dark grain extract after fermentation so I was thinking about mashing the chocolate malt and adding the roast barley and black patent as a cold extract at the end of the boil. 

I'm hoping that someone here has converted a recipe to a cold extract process and could say something about the difference...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:10:05 am »
Post your recipe and procedures.  I think if you are getting too much astringency in a RIS it is more likely a problem with one of those than something that cold steeping is needed to fix.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:33:29 am »

Which you can also do with Sinamar if you're lazy like me!

Well you can cold steep stuff other than carafa.

I do find that if you use a crap ton of Sinamar, you get a fairly pleasant flavor. 1/2 TBSP per 12 oz bottle of IIPA won a couple of category 23s this spring.

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:55:35 am »
Post your recipe and procedures.  I think if you are getting too much astringency in a RIS it is more likely a problem with one of those than something that cold steeping is needed to fix.

The grain bill for the RIS was:
15 lb pale
5 lb Vienna
1 lb chocolate
.5 lb black
.5 lb black roasted barley
1.5 lb fawcett crystal 85/90
.5 lb brown malt

Mashed at 154, ph 5.36 at room temp, added 3 g each chalk and baking soda to the mash to get correct ph. No Sparge.
OG 1.104, FG 1.027 fermented at 65 with 1056 1gal stirred starter.

It's not all that astringent but I wouldn't want more and I do want to get a little more flavor from the roasted grain. I guess on some level I accept some astringency in this style but many judges seem to be looking for a smoother roast profile.

Does this recipe/process look out of whack to anyone?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:57:04 am »
So what would you do then?  Steep your roasted grain in a pot with half a gallon of cool water while mashing and add it to the kettle while taking the first run off?
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:22:21 am »
So what would you do then?  Steep your roasted grain in a pot with half a gallon of cool water while mashing and add it to the kettle while taking the first run off?

You steep it overnight.  Take a look at this...

http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/brewing/index.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:56 am »
Post your recipe and procedures.  I think if you are getting too much astringency in a RIS it is more likely a problem with one of those than something that cold steeping is needed to fix.
Mashed at 154, ph 5.36 at room temp, added 3 g each chalk and baking soda to the mash to get correct ph. No Sparge.
OG 1.104, FG 1.027 fermented at 65 with 1056 1gal stirred starter.

It's not all that astringent but I wouldn't want more and I do want to get a little more flavor from the roasted grain. I guess on some level I accept some astringency in this style but many judges seem to be looking for a smoother roast profile.

Does this recipe/process look out of whack to anyone?
I use a pound of black barley in a 1.043 beer and never get any astringency.  Since it's no sparge, I'm guessing maybe it's the mineral additions to your water.  Have you had it tested?  If you need to adjust the pH upward, you could try using pickling lime in place of some or all of the baking soda.

Or, you know, cold steep some grains.  That could work too. :)  But usually people cold steep when they want color from the grains, not roast.
Tom Schmidlin