Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye, Malted v. flaked  (Read 5348 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Rye, Malted v. flaked
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:39 am »
Hey all, I posted this question as part of another thread but I would love more in depth info on it.

What's the difference? Flavour wise, body, fermentability etc.?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rye, Malted v. flaked
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:42 am »
To me, the main difference is flavor.  I detect much more flavor from malted rye than flaked.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Well maybe I will have to fall off the organic wagon just a bit then. Maybe I can call 7 bridges and see if malted rye is something they could get ahold of
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
The organic flaked rye I got at the natural foods store are very pungent. At 18% it's quite noticeable. It's very high in protein and yields low extract. The beer wont clear very easy and it adds a lot of body.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:21:46 am by Malticulous »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:11 am »
The organic flaked rye I got at the natural foods store are very pungent. At 18% it's quite noticeable. It's very high in protein and yields low extract. The beer wont clear very easy and it adds a lot of body.

No worries about clearing this is going into a stout. Perhaps I will just try it with the flaked rye for now and see what happens.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:56 am »

No worries about clearing this is going into a stout. Perhaps I will just try it with the flaked rye for now and see what happens.

Couldn't hurt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »
What's the difference? Flavour wise, body, fermentability etc.?

Flavor-wise, I don't think there's that much difference, although the unmalted flaked rye might give you more beta-glucans and proteins, possibly giving you problems with cloudiness and poor storage stability if you use too much.

In terms of fermentability, the obvious difference is that malted rye has enough diastatic power to convert itself. If the fancy took you, you could make a beer entirely from malted rye. Flaked rye has zilch for diastatic power, so if you're wanting any conversion, you'll need to mash it with a percentage of base malt which has decent diastatic power.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »
When I've used it I used 2 pounds with one pound of six row in a cereal mash. I doubt the true extract potential is over 75%. The brewers stuff is going to do better. The first time I used it I tried using gelatin to clear it and it failed (the only time it didn't work for me.) It took a couple month in the fridge to clear it. Now I use WLP-320 and serve it cloudy. It's my American rye ale.