Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What hops with rye?  (Read 6241 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
What hops with rye?
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:30 am »
I bought some rye malt and I'm going to add it to one of my regular brews, just to see what effect it has on the character of the beer.  I've read that it adds a spicy characteristic to the beer.  So, I'm curious if this works better with a particular style of hop?  I'm not sure about spicy with citrus (been using Cascade).  I'm thinking of a noble hop or perhaps a traditional English hop. 

I'm only planning on adding 1/2 lb this first time.  The only reference I've found is Denny's recipe that is about 19% rye. This would only be about 5%.  Would 10% be better to detect the character?

Thoughts?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: What hops with rye?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:33:50 am »
I think you're on the right track with the hops.  I've found that a large presence of the citrusy hops tends to hide the rye character (and have gotten the same comment on multiple scoresheets).  IIRC, Denny's does use some CTZ but finishes with Mt Hood which I've always considered as a sort of "pseudo-noble" and lets the rye come through.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
I don't think you'll even notice 5% rye.  My experience is that you need at least 15% to even tell it's there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:13 am »
I don't think you'll even notice 5% rye.  My experience is that you need at least 15% to even tell it's there.

OK, I'll take it up to 2 lbs and see what happens.  Never used it so I've gotta start somewhere.  I've been scared off a bit by Ray Daniels book which says it can be unpleasant if used at too high a percentage (which I'm probably no where near).  I just didn't want to over do it this first time. 

I'm going to scale back the pale row by 1 lb and add this extra 2 lb of rye.  Total fermentables are 12 lbs so that should be about 17%. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
I think you're on the right track with the hops.  I've found that a large presence of the citrusy hops tends to hide the rye character (and have gotten the same comment on multiple scoresheets).  IIRC, Denny's does use some CTZ but finishes with Mt Hood which I've always considered as a sort of "pseudo-noble" and lets the rye come through.
Thanks.  I'm gonna use Perle to bitter and then finish with Tettnanger and Hallertau.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:32:37 am »

Yeah, but then it gets heavily dry hopped with Columbus so the Mt. Hood kinda blend in and become a background flavor/aroma.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:34:08 am »

OK, I'll take it up to 2 lbs and see what happens.  Never used it so I've gotta start somewhere.  I've been scared off a bit by Ray Daniels book which says it can be unpleasant if used at too high a percentage (which I'm probably no where near).  I just didn't want to over do it this first time. 

I'm going to scale back the pale row by 1 lb and add this extra 2 lb of rye.  Total fermentables are 12 lbs so that should be about 17%. 

FWIW, I've gone up to 45% in a rye APA and didn't find it at all unpleasant.  What rye malt are you using?  Although it may be heresy, I've found I prefer Briess rye malt to most continental rye malts I've tried.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »
I've got ten gallons of Denny's Rye IPA fermenting as we speak.  I was thinking of doing a couple variations of dry hopping for comparison. 1) Stay true to the recipe and dry hop in secondary;and 2) 1/2 CTZ and 1/2 Amarillo "in keg" method. 
I predict both will be delicious.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »
What rye malt are you using?  Although it may be heresy, I've found I prefer Briess rye malt to most continental rye malts I've tried.

I don't really know.  I think my supplier buys in bulk and then re-bags.  It just says "Malted Rye".  I have the same complaint with all his products.  Crystal is just crystal, MO is just MO.  Unless you buy a 55 lb sack, there's no way to tell unless he replied to an email which is not guaranteed.  Not ideal but all I've been able to find so far.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:18 pm »

Yeah, but then it gets heavily dry hopped with Columbus so the Mt. Hood kinda blend in and become a background flavor/aroma.

Oh yeah, forgot about the dry hops
Joe

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:58:47 pm »
IMO Rye Malt tastes fine with Citrusy hops.  I've used it with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade and I think it tastes great with these.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 05:00:59 pm »
IMO Rye Malt tastes fine with Citrusy hops.  I've used it with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade and I think it tastes great with these.

Yep, I agree.  I haven't found any hops that I like that don't work with rye.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

Yep, I agree.  I haven't found any hops that I like that don't work with rye.

Same here.  Love rye.  Love hops.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:29 am »
I do a 12 plato beer with 60% malted rye and a decent bit of late additions of citra and sorachi ace.

Very popular in casual drinking, does not work at competitions.

I'm skeptical that many people know what rye tastes like. If you give someone a dunkelweizen and tell them it is roggenbier, they usually won't call you on it.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:15:02 am »
Thanks all. From what I can gather there's no problem with any type as long as you like the taste.  I guess I'll know in a few weeks what rye + noble hops taste like.  Then, there's always next time with American hops...

The recipe ended up being:
4 kg 2-row malt
1 kg rye malt
250 g C45
50 g C120
1/2 tsp Citric Acid to adjust mash pH (I have yet to notice any flavour from this)
Mash at 150 for 75 mins

1 oz Tettnanger (3.5% AA) FWH
25 g Perle@60 - after hot break
1 oz of Halltertau + 1 oz of Tettnanger mixed together with 10 g additions every 5 mins from 20 to flameout. 
Irish moss at 15
WLP001

Wish me luck.