Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: new kinda mosquito repellent?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
new kinda mosquito repellent?
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:30 am »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

ccarlson

Re: new kinda mosquito repellent?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:58 am »
I don't believe any of it. My wife and I can be sitting outside, both drinking the same beer. Mosquitoes are all over me and they leave her alone. She said that it's because she uses body lotion, so I tried that. They still came after me and left her alone.

I believe that it's each person particular body chemistry. Some people attract them, while others will not.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:07 am »
I don't believe any of it. My wife and I can be sitting outside, both drinking the same beer. Mosquitoes are all over me and they leave her alone. She said that it's because she uses body lotion, so I tried that. They still came after me and left her alone.

I believe that it's each person particular body chemistry. Some people attract them, while others will not.

Mosquitoes area attracted to CO2 and motion. Perhaps a combo of your wife being smaller and thus producing less CO2 and perhaps more still so they have trouble seeing her. There are also sent queues which is how many 'natural' repelents work, by disguising the smell and thus making you 'invisible' Women do tend to smell less strongly than men.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
maybe if you wore a kotex? just sayin' :-X

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:46:41 pm »
I smoke, so no skeeter issues here. I got this malaria thing whupped. Now the other stuff...  :-[
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:11 pm »
I smoke,

I thought you were on the e-cig?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »
I smoke,

I thought you were on the e-cig?

Yeah, that didn't last. Peer pressure. I fell in with the wrong crowd again.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
Mosquitoes will bypass 200 people to bite me on my ankles.  My ankles must glow like the sun in the infrared.  

No mosquito-bourne diseases for this homebrewer.  I take no chances.   It's DEET for me!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
I'm working on my own formula to keep them away. I just don't like using Deet, as much as I'm outside in the summer.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »
Mosquitoes will bypass 200 people to bite me on my ankles.  My ankles must glow like the sun in the infrared.  

No mosquito-bourne diseases for this homebrewer.  I take no chances.   It's DEET for me!
Here in New Mexico they only bite my ankles, I guess so I can never hear them. I'll notice my ankles are on fire and then I see them.   In Alabama they buzz around my face and bit sometimes, but really tear up my French in-laws.  In France they focus on me and ignore my in-laws.  I don't pretend to understand.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:46 pm »

I agree. I think there's more to it than just CO2 and motion. I bit the little bastards use CO2 as a homing signal, then use pheromones or other scents to determine which critter to bite.

Mosquitoes area attracted to CO2 and motion. Perhaps a combo of your wife being smaller and thus producing less CO2 and perhaps more still so they have trouble seeing her.

Not in our household. My wife is the mosquito magnet and I tend to be fidgety. Of course, I also tend to keep most of my body covered (hat, long sleeves and trousers) because I really dislike wearing sunscreen.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:11:01 am »
Mosquitoes area attracted to CO2

Fine.  Bite me all you want, but stay away from my kegerator!!!!
No mosquito-bourne diseases for this homebrewer.  I take no chances.   It's DEET for me!

After seeing what Babalu is going through right now, you can be sure that the family and I get covered head to toe in bug repellent.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:14 am »
I smoke, so no skeeter issues here. I got this malaria thing whupped. Now the other stuff...  :-[

A good cigar works great.  :)

Yes sir!

After seeing what Babalu is going through right now, you can be sure that the family and I get covered head to toe in bug repellent.

Absolutely!

A big+1,000,000 on that note.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:32:25 am by bluesman »
Ron Price