Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg 2 of rye pale is cloudier than keg 1  (Read 1672 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Keg 2 of rye pale is cloudier than keg 1
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »
I brewed 10 gallons of rye pale back in January, kegged it in February and finished the first keg back in April.  The first keg was a pretty golden color but was never even close to clear.  I tapped the second keg tonight and it's cloudy like the first one but much darker, almost a muddy brown.  It tastes OK for a flat beer but I'm wondering if the rye makes it cloudy.  The recipe was 25% rye, 75% 2 row pale.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Keg 2 of rye pale is cloudier than keg 1
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »
Same yeast?

Did you split the runnings into two different fermenters, fill one than the other?

Those are the two things I would look at, assuming there is no obvious contamination.  By the way, carbonate it! :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:50 am »
It came from the 12 gallon conical and has been stored in the fridge since it was kegged.  I'll see what happens, maybe it got shook up moving it to the kegerator.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:01 am »
that was the first or second pint out of the keg?  that one usually goes down the drain.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:31 am »
that was the first or second pint out of the keg?  that one usually goes down the drain.
It was the first pint, but there were no visible solids and it had been cold crashing for 4 months already.  I'll check it again tomorrow.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:46 am »
It was the first pint, but there were no visible solids and it had been cold crashing for 4 months already.  I'll check it again tomorrow.

it doesn't matter - there's a lot of stuff that will fall out of unfiltered beer, especially over 4 months.

I guarantee pint #3 will be exponentially more clear than that first pint.

I've had lagers I've cold crashed in the conical before transfer for a few weeks, racked crystal clear beer and even still that first pint is a little murky after an extended lagering period.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281