Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Have you seen this video about Alabama/homebrewing?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Have you seen this video about Alabama/homebrewing?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »
Equal parts ignorance and stupidity, theres no changing this bunch with education.  Bible Belt mentality towards alcohol isn't something you can change.

It's worse than that.  
These boneheads (and I'm being kind)  seem oblivious to the 1970's era Federal law signed by president Jimmy Carter...himself an avowed born-again Christian, and who is also a  member of the same party as most of the numbskulls who voted down this Alabama bill.

I guess the a**clowns in the Alabama legislature don't bother to do any research (or hire a staff to do research) before they make fools of themselves spouting about subjects on which they have no background information.

And don't even get me started on the guy bragging about his love for Chivas... :o  That was just too damned funny.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:34:46 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:34 pm »
Equal parts ignorance and stupidity, theres no changing this bunch with education.  Bible Belt mentality towards alcohol isn't something you can change.

It's worse than that.  
These boneheads (and I'm being kind)  seem oblivious to the 1970's era Federal law signed by president Jimmy Carter...himself an avowed born-again Christian, and who is also a  member of the same party as most of the numbskulls who voted down this Alabama bill.

I guess the a**clowns in the Alabama legislature don't bother to do any research (or hire a staff to do research) before they make fools of themselves spouting about subjects on which they have no background information.

And don't even get me started on the guy bragging about his love for Chivas... :o  That was just too damned funny.

For you Opie and Anthony fans, this guy is the same dummy(along with an assistant) they had a sound bite on concerning some type of beer related legislation(if memory serves, it was about allowing higher alcohol beers to be sold); "what's wrong with beer we got? It drank pretty good..." SMH...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:54 am »
Wow.

Makes the FN look tame.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 06:32:25 am »
For you Opie and Anthony fans, this guy is the same dummy(along with an assistant) they had a sound bite on concerning some type of beer related legislation(if memory serves, it was about allowing higher alcohol beers to be sold); "what's wrong with beer we got? It drank pretty good..." SMH...

I loved O&A when they were local hosts in the Boston area.  Whip'em Out Wednesdays ( WOW ) were the best!!!!  Then they had to get fired for that April Fool's joke about Mayor Menino being killed in a car accident in Florida.  Haven't listened to them since they went to pay radio.

I'm not sure I agree with the adjustments to the bill with lowering the amounts and taking mead out of the equation.  I really don't think it will matter with these people.  Someday I believe they will turn it around.  I'm just glad the rest of the country isn't following suit.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

ccarlson

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:20 am »
Wow.

Makes the FN look tame.

Okay, I'll bite. What's an FN?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:30 am »
Just to save a little face here, there are plenty of educated and enlightened areas in Alabama. For instance, Huntsville has more rocket scientists and engineers per capita than almost anywhere else in the US. That said, there certainly are large wastelands of backwoods and backwards thinking people in this state.

These laws won't stand for ever. I imagine in the next 5-10 years we will get rid of the stupidest laws - most importantly the anti-homebrewing and bottle size law. I moved here in '93 from PA and back then the laws were even worse. It was only in the last 3 years or so that the abv limit was raised from 6% to 12% (or, it may be 13%, can't recall.) So things are changing. No offense to the homebrewers out there, but I hope the bottle law changes first (no beer in bottles larger than 12 oz). Homebrewing is pretty easy to hide and well tolerated by most people I've ever known and I have never heard of anyone who was actually arrested for homebrewing. I did know one guy who got harassed but he had an article in the LA times which featured his name, face and address. Hell, believe it or not we have homebrewing shops that operate in the open in Huntsville so there's a blind eye that is turned toward it.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:20 am »
but I hope the bottle law changes first (no beer in bottles larger than 12 oz).

We had a stupid bottle size law in Florida years ago too.  Only 8, 12, 16 and 32-or-more ounce containers were allowed.  That left out almost all the European beers and all the craft beer bombers.  It was mostly a beer distributor's law, which was only changed because of active homebrewers in the state and one common sense senator.  Finding a sponsor is the first step I would think.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:59 am »
Wow.

Makes the FN look tame.

Okay, I'll bite. What's an FN?

Front National = French Fascists (well, "allegedly") Of course there's a healthy dose of hyperbole there, but the guys in that audio just sounded so... ehhhh.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:25 am »
Just to save a little face here, there are plenty of educated and enlightened areas in Alabama. For instance, Huntsville has more rocket scientists and engineers per capita than almost anywhere else in the US.

And don't forget Spacecamp!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 10:58:24 am »
One of the more telling comments is right near the beginning: "...up to 100 gallons per year, without any licensure, oversight from any government entity, who can transport it [...] who's going to monitor that??" --Bill sponsor  Mac McCutcheon

Who says there needs to be oversight?? You don't have to live in Vermont to believe that less = more in government. These guys have much more pressing concerns in Alabama.

Listening to them, I just keep waiting for "now I ain't no fancy big-city lawyer..."  Any minute now...

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:12:23 pm »
Hell, believe it or not we have homebrewing shops that operate in the open in Huntsville so there's a blind eye that is turned toward it.

There was a shop open in Utah years before homebrewing was legal (which was just last year). I did read an article that at one point, an overzealous police department was following customers home  ::)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »
Every state has politicians who sound like idiots, but usually only 1 or 2 at a time.   :D

When I lived in NE they had Ernie Chambers.  Here in IA we have Steve King in Washington even as I type.  There is always some group of "got elected by good-'ol boy network" hick from the back woods type in every state.  It seems that AL has a lot of back woods.

Hopefully the sponsors of the bill that got voted down keep chipping away at it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49:24 am »
Just to save a little face here, there are plenty of educated and enlightened areas in Alabama. For instance, Huntsville has more rocket scientists and engineers per capita than almost anywhere else in the US. That said, there certainly are large wastelands of backwoods and backwards thinking people in this state.

Work on reversing the rocket scientist to redneck ratio. The rest will follow.