Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: European Beer 10 Pack at Costco  (Read 898 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: European Beer 10 Pack at Costco
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 09:34:25 am »
I bought this pack against my better judgments (mine was $29.99, which is a little expensive for beer am a sure won't be very fresh). I tried two and both were dumpers. Both old and oxidized. Might try one more but they taste exactly how you would expect a beer that has sat out on the shelf warm. In this instance they also taste like they sat in a hot shipping container.
I've given up on Costco's beer Advent calendars for this reason — 24 cans of cardboard. Maybe it's just as well I couldn't find it at my store.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 02:34:34 pm »
I bought this pack against my better judgments (mine was $29.99, which is a little expensive for beer am a sure won't be very fresh). I tried two and both were dumpers. Both old and oxidized. Might try one more but they taste exactly how you would expect a beer that has sat out on the shelf warm. In this instance they also taste like they sat in a hot shipping container.

I hope mine are different, but fear they might also be kinda lackluster. I was hoping to find a 10 day stretch to try them one a day, but if it's gonna be a dumpfest I might go ahead and let it rip.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2024, 04:19:27 pm »
Made it halfway through the Polish India Pale Ale until I couldn't take the diacetyl anymore. The Polish Pilsner was so metallic I couldn't take it. I had less metal mouth while taking Paxlovid. So two drain pours so far. Not looking good for the home team!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2024, 04:31:07 pm »
That's too bad to hear about these beers, and others experience with the Advent calendars. I have always enjoyed the Advent calendars, never had a bad one yet. I wonder if its because I live in a northern clime (Montana) and the cooler weather keeps them fresher?

I'm well aware of the hit or miss on European imports. Low to medium gravity bottles of English ale seems to be the worst beers for being stale and oxidized. Orval is another one - I would guess that 90% of the Orvals I buy are off (but its the good ones that keeps me buying them).

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 05:23:34 pm »
The two German beers are acceptable, but not worth the price of admission. The wheat beer is slightly tart, the lager was more interesting, but both were still pedestrian. I'd not pick up either of them again due to a lack of complexity.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 01:18:09 pm »
That's too bad to hear about these beers, and others experience with the Advent calendars. I have always enjoyed the Advent calendars, never had a bad one yet. I wonder if its because I live in a northern clime (Montana) and the cooler weather keeps them fresher?

I'm well aware of the hit or miss on European imports. Low to medium gravity bottles of English ale seems to be the worst beers for being stale and oxidized. Orval is another one - I would guess that 90% of the Orvals I buy are off (but its the good ones that keeps me buying them).

The couple I had from the Advent Calendar were ok. I actually thought one was good. It's possible I was drunk, however.  :)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2024, 04:27:01 pm »
The Czech Pale Lager - Vltavan was tasty and solid. Best of the bunch so far, still have four more to go.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2024, 07:52:16 am »
The TUP was so, so terrible. OMG was it terrible. Thinking about it is the stuff of nightmares.