Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Universal Studios Orlando - Beer Hell!!!  (Read 5600 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Universal Studios Orlando - Beer Hell!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 11:43:08 pm »
It think it was St. Pauli Girl, Bitburger, or some other mass produced light lager, I can't remember.

Bitburger can be good. St. Pauli Girl not so good. I can't imagine that there's much of a market for big, chewy beers at a theme park in Florida, though. You were at least lucky in that there was German-themed beer, as opposed to the usual manifestations of fizzy yellow swill.
All of the countries have beer from there, and it was cool enough that I totally would have gone for something interesting.  Even a marzen would have been good, still on the lighter side and with some flavor.  Or a weizen would be nice and is approachable for people.  I don't know, there's plenty of great beers in Germany that would have been a better choice rather than something you can find on a shelf anywhere :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:39 am »
I was an annual pass holder at Disney World (unlimited access to any park any time) for 20+ years.  Hands down Epcot was the park my family & I spent the most time in.  I have the "pub crawl" route in the World Showcase down (no alcohol served in Future World).  

My preference - turn right and go around the lake counterclockwise.  Go cups are served.

Stop at Canada for a Canadian beer (start light).  Or you can go with Unibroue heavies.  
Wander on down to United Kingdom for a black and tan (or two).  
Cross the bridge and visit France (wine stop for da wife) French beer sometimes available.  
Stop at Japan in the sake bar (very nice selections)  and the tempura bar and/or sushi restaurant  Japanese beers available there too.  (this is the best spot to watch fireworks from)
Continue on to the American Experience for a turkey drumstick and a Samuel Adams

Then, destination achieved, Germany.  The bier selection here varies with the season.  There is always a seasonal bier on tap (along with one or two others) at Germany.  Highly recommend the goulash soup and soft pretzels.  The bratwurst is very good too.  If you want to have dinner in the Bierhall the buffet food is very traditional German fare and quite good, and they have an extensive selection of bottled bier and wine to choose from.  Germany is the 2nd best spot for fireworks.  The fireworks happen over the lake.  Hot tip: don't watch fireworks on the downwind side of the lake.

If you're still up for it, there are Chinese beers at China and Mexican beers at Mexico.  Margaritas available at Mexico.

I usually don't get past Germany.

The beverage selections vary throughout the World Showcase constantly.  The best time to visit (all times are good), hands down, is during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival in the fall.  In addition to the mainstay countries' pavilions, they set up many food and beverage stands throughout the whole World Showcase, and have many special tastings and dinners.

Next to watching launches from the Cape in person, I miss pub-crawling at Epcot most, since I moved to Hawaii.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:01:13 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:22 pm »
IIf you're still up for it, there are Chinese beers at China and Mexican beers at Mexico.  Margaritas available at Mexico.

Well who would have guessed that?!?! What next, Japanese beers in Japan? Irish beers in Ireland?  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

ccarlson

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:42 pm »
IIf you're still up for it, there are Chinese beers at China and Mexican beers at Mexico.  Margaritas available at Mexico.

Well who would have guessed that?!?! What next, Japanese beers in Japan? Irish beers in Ireland?  ;D

From my experience at Disney/Universal Studios, it might actually be cheaper to fly to the actual country and buy the beer.

Offline punatic

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »

From my experience at Disney/Universal Studios, it might actually be cheaper to fly to the actual country and buy the beer.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  They have these little animated vacuum cleaners that sneak around and suck all of the money out of your wallet.

But the Food & Wine Festival is pretty cool.  They sell lots of small taster portions of some great food and wine from around the world for like $3 - $4 per serving.  One big score I found one year was a really nice Piesporter Auslese Eiswein Riesling for like $5 a glass - or something very reasonable like that.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:17 pm »
All of the countries have beer from there, and it was cool enough that I totally would have gone for something interesting. 

If I had to drink German-style beer on a hot day in Florida, I'd personally go for a hefeweizen - served a bit cold for the style and perhaps garnished with lemon, depending on how badly I was jonesing for electrolytes.

Offline punatic

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »
All of the countries have beer from there, and it was cool enough that I totally would have gone for something interesting. 

If I had to drink German-style beer on a hot day in Florida, I'd personally go for a hefeweizen - served a bit cold for the style and perhaps garnished with lemon, depending on how badly I was jonesing for electrolytes.

If you ask for lemon in your weissbier they will look at you like you have two heads.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:59 am »

If you ask for lemon in your weissbier they will look at you like you have two heads.
They didn't have any anyway.  At least none that I saw.  Dammit!  :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 04:04:20 am »

Normally, I'd think I was off my rocker if I asked for lemon in my beer, but I'm not that proud. If it was a hot day and lemon slices were the only real citrus on offer, I'd take it.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 09:45:13 am »

Didn't have any weissbier or didn't have any lemon ?
Joe

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:23 am »

They didn't have any anyway.  At least none that I saw.  Dammit!  :-\

Last time I was there they had Optimator on tap.  Odd for a hot day, but it slowed everything down nicely.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:22:35 am by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:44 am »

No weissbier.  Just a kid in a booth serving boring lager.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 10:56:13 am »

No weissbier.  Just a kid in a booth serving boring lager.

Well that explains it!  You were there during the Epcot International Boring Kid Festival.   :D

AHA Life Member #33907