Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Galaxy hops  (Read 8347 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Galaxy hops
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:09 am »
I've been wanting to try something new, so 1# of Galaxy hops are on the way. The descriptions I've found sound intriguing. Gonna do an AIPA. Anyone with experience or suggestions?
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Galaxy hops
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
No experience with them - curious where you got 1lb though(?).
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:53:53 am »
Hopsdirect has them in pellet. Thinking of doing a single hop IPA to get a handle on 'em.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:36:12 pm »
Hopsdirect has them in pellet. Thinking of doing a single hop IPA to get a handle on 'em.

What a timely forum topic!  I was just researching how to get them from Australia yesterday.  I am going to order 1lb right now.  That is going to save a s%$# ton on shipping!  I am glad I decided to wait. Thanks for the info!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »
I had them quite a bit in Australia. Interesting. Passionfruit flavor. I wonder if they'd make an Amarillo substitute. I just got 4 oz and will be trying them in a single hop pale ale.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »
I had them quite a bit in Australia. Interesting. Passionfruit flavor. I wonder if they'd make an Amarillo substitute. I just got 4 oz and will be trying them in a single hop pale ale.

Gordon,
I agree it would be interesting to do a single hop beer with Amarillo, Galaxy, and Citra and compare/contrast the differences in flavor and aroma.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:21:59 am »
Gordon,
What do you think about subbing in Galaxy in place of Delta in Nathan Smith's Citrus Bomb IPA?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:18 am »
Haven't had Delta enough to offer an opinion.  Nathan gave me a lot of IPAs last time I saw him; not sure I remember that one clearly.  I think I'll be trying some again next week, so maybe I'll know better then.

If I had to use Galaxy in a blend, I'd try it with Cascade first.  The Australians use a lot of Cascades in their pale ales, so I think it would be fitting.  I'd be afraid of blowing out some of the interesting fruit characteristics with a lot of strong citrus and pine.

I'm going to use Galaxy for the first time this weekend, so l'll probably have a better opinion on what would go with it then.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Simon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:32:52 pm »
Gordon,
I agree it would be interesting to do a single hop beer with Amarillo, Galaxy, and Citra and compare/contrast the differences in flavor and aroma.

+1 for that.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
Update: kegged yesterday. Drinking shake carbed samples from Carbonator 2L. Love this hop. Passionfruit and citrus. Simple malt bill and US05 to showcase. Light in color and bitter, just how I like 'em. A touch of leaf Cascade @ 60 to help straining the all pellet Galaxy.  This hop is defintely going into the line up. Deelish.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.40 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal  
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 94.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
23 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        93.9 %
 1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         2        4.1 %      
8.0 oz                White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)               Grain         3        2.0 %        
1.50 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        14.7 IBUs    
1.50 oz               Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           5        34.7 IBUs    
2.00 oz               Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           6        28.0 IBUs    
2.00 oz               Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           7        16.8 IBUs    
2.50 oz               Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           8        0.0 IBUs
4.00 oz               Galaxy [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 21.0 Days      Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:57:10 am by maxieboy »

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:33 pm »
What flavor profiles/characteristics do you get from the galaxy?  How does it compare to citra or amarillo?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:55 am »
There's a brewery in Iowa that distributes to my area that has a Galaxy IPA and it's delicious.  I thought grapefruit and citrus when I had it, not sure what passion fruit is.  But this hop will hit it big here in not too long, I'm thinking.  Certainly could be an Amarillo sub I think.
Jesse

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 07:57:52 pm »
I took a whiff of Galaxy hops at Rebel Brewer when I was there and it was intense grapefruit.

Another hop I look forward to using is Nelson Sauvin.  I have 10 oz of Nelson in my freezer, and they're burning a hole a my brewpot.  Must get brewing.