Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simcoe hop question  (Read 5355 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Simcoe hop question
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:47:40 am »
I wasn't sure whether to post this in recipes or here. But given the question mostly involves a variety of hops I decided to brew it here. I picked up 3 oz of Simcoe hops. I am trying to figure out what I want to brew with them.
My favorite beers are reds, ambers, and browns. I do an occasional IPA but mostly for my friends who like hoppy beers to enjoy when they come over. I have plenty of Columbus, Cascade, Fuggle, Sterling, Goldings, and Williamette on hand. Do Simcoes play well with any of these?
Whatever I brew I pretty much want the Simcoe to dominate so that I can learn what they taste like. I don't know that I have enough of them to do a single hop and really get a feel for them.
How would they be in a white wheat beer?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Simcoe hop question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:46 am »
You could do a 5G all Simcoe Pale Ale.  I bet it would be delicious.  I've used them with Cascade before but none of the others you have listed.  They go well with Cascade IMO.  Maybe Simcoe bittering and flavor with a Cascade aroma addition?  Then dry hop the last of the Simcoe?  Just a thought. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:20 am »
+1.  I've used them with Cascade and good results. An APA with the Simcoe saved for late (and dry) sounds like a winner, especially if you don't have alot of Simcoe.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »
Simcoe bittering in an APA is very nice. Gives a grapefruit bite that goes well with maltiness. I would aroma with cascade Willamette or Mt hood. IMO Simcoe can be funky for aroma

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »
Simcoe is pretty much one of the prototypical IPA hops. It would work in an American Amber/Red/Brown. I think Columbus and Cascade are the best bets from the hops you list below to pair with Simcoe. If you want to try it out maybe do a basic amber with an ounce at 15 minutes, an ounce at flameout and an ounce in dry hops. Add some Cascade to fill out the hop bill to your liking and use the Columbus at 60 minutes to get your IBU's up to your target.

I definitely think Simcoe would be out of place in your wheat beer. It's mainly dank and piny with some citrus notes (and a dash of cat piss to some).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
Simcoe is pretty much one of the prototypical IPA hops. It would work in an American Amber/Red/Brown. I think Columbus and Cascade are the best bets from the hops you list below to pair with Simcoe. If you want to try it out maybe do a basic amber with an ounce at 15 minutes, an ounce at flameout and an ounce in dry hops. Add some Cascade to fill out the hop bill to your liking and use the Columbus at 60 minutes to get your IBU's up to your target.

I definitely think Simcoe would be out of place in your wheat beer. It's mainly dank and piny with some citrus notes (and a dash of cat piss to some).

Amarillo, IMHO is the best hop to pair with Simcoe.  Don't know if you have any of that on hand?  It is the one you see most commonly.  Otherwise, I agree with everything erockrph has alread posted above.  I also wouldn't be afraid of using Simcoe w/ CTZ 50:50 as a late addition and/or dryhop.  That would be my preference of what you have on hand, but I like my hoppy beers dank and piney with some citrus notes ;D

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:34 pm »
Simcoe and cascade for sure. Columbus would be good in there too. My favorite combination for my black IPA is simcoe, cascade, and chinook.

Also agree with hoser. Simcoe and Amarillo do pair very well together.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:38:01 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:50 pm »

+1.  Forgot to mention this.  I think Simcoe could have a bad effect on any wheat beer.
Dave Zach

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »

+1.  Forgot to mention this.  I think Simcoe could have a bad effect on any wheat beer.

I disagree, if you use it late with restraint.  Especially, if paired with something like williamette or cascade to complement it. Or just by itself. A lot of the characteristics of Simcoe are comparable to Citra and yet Zombie Dust is the bomb!  I think you would be surprised how many commercial wheat beers may have a simcoe hop addition.

Are you brewing to enter into a BJCP comp or for something you and your friends enjoy?  No limits or parameters on experimentation or trying something new or creative in homebrewing ;D 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:40:26 pm by hoser »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »

I think Simcoe might be the saving grace for an American style wheat beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

I think Simcoe might be the saving grace for an American style wheat beer!

I use Simcoe for aroma in my American Wheat.  The only change I'm making is to increase both the bittering and aroma hops a bit to up the hop presence a little.

I get very good feedback from friends on this beer.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?