Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sugar to lighten body  (Read 6944 times)

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Sugar to lighten body
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:54:04 am »
I made a Saison yesterday, 10 gallon batch, 1042 going into the fermenter. I ended up mashing a little high (155) due to a couple miss calculations (temp of grain, mash tun temp, still on winter brew mind set, that and brewing in the upper 90's). So this is going to finish a little thicker than I want. So the question is, will adding a sugar syrup to the fermenter lighten the resulting body? If so, how much sugar do I need to add?
Thanks

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Sugar to lighten body
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:30 am »
Adding sugar in exchange for some of the base malt will help lower the finishing gravity which will dry out the beer somewhat. Sucrose is 100% fermentable and will add 46ppg. So by adding 1 pound of sugar you'll increase your gravity by 6.9 gravity points which will be 100% fermentable. You'll also finish with a higher AA% by adding the sugar.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:55:04 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:10:00 am »
I would think that adding sugar at this point would only add alcohol (does that in itself lighten body?), but adding sugar and water so that you maintain the same OG would lighten the body and lower your FG.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:18:16 am »
I would think that adding sugar at this point would only add alcohol (does that in itself lighten body?), but adding sugar and water so that you maintain the same OG would lighten the body and lower your FG.

Adding sugar at this point will lighten the body a bit, but to truly do that you;d need to replace other fermentables with it, not just add sugar to what's already there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:19 am »
Since it's already made, wouldn't adding water with the sugar do effectively the same thing?  That's assuming the OP can accomodate the extra volume, of course.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:22 am »
Since it's already made, wouldn't adding water with the sugar do effectively the same thing?  That's assuming the OP can accomodate the extra volume, of course.

Yes it will reduce the body but it will also reduce the ABV as well, which I don't know if the OP would be willing to compromise the alcohol content. He's already below lower limit of a Saison.
Ron Price

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:25 am »
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the OP should add that much water.  I meant that water should be added with the sugar to maintain the OG.  The OP should even get a bump in abv since the added sugar would be highly fermentable.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:10 am »
No need to add any water, just sugar if desirable.

The lower FG comes from the added alch because alch SG is less than 1. That is how full fermented wine reads less than 1.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:01:09 am »
Right, but if the OP just adds sugar, will it lighten the body of the beer?  I wouldn't think you'd get much effect there, but I haven't tried this.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:26:44 am »
Adding sugar will only increase alcohol, it will NOT reduce the FG.

Adding sugar to a recipe NEVER (OK, slightly because pure alcohol has a lower SG than water, see below) reduces the FG.
Reducing the amount of grain/malt to accommodate the sugar does.

But . . .   It will make the body appear lighter to the taste.

a pound of sugar in 5 gallons WILL reduce the FG by 0.00207
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:50 am »

True, but it will give a lower reading on a hyrometer due to the increased alcohol content.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:48 am »

True, but it will give a lower reading on a hyrometer due to the increased alcohol content.
You missed
Fred Bonjour

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:10 am »

You missed
FYI BeerSmith2 accounts for this reduction.
Fred Bonjour

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:05:54 pm »
I've found mashing lower, say 146F to yield better results than added cane sugar. I'd have thrown some ice in the mashtun to drop that 155 temp down in the first couple of minutes. This works really well BTW. Water under the bridge...

As stated above it won't really decrease the body that much, and may result in an unbalance towards alcoholic bite. That's my opinion. I really don't like trying to "fix" beer once it's in the fermenter.

What you've made is a table saison. ;) Let it ride and enjoy or maybe you could try blending. ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:13:37 pm »

You missed

I did miss :-[

My tiny mind can only comprehend so many sentences at a time.