Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sugar to lighten body  (Read 6937 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sugar to lighten body
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:26:30 pm »
I really don't like trying to "fix" beer once it's in the fermenter.

I agree.  Usually when I've tried to fix a beer it ends up worse than it probably would have been if I'd just left it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »
I really don't like trying to "fix" beer once it's in the fermenter.

I agree.  Usually when I've tried to fix a beer it ends up worse than it probably would have been if I'd just left it.
But Denny,   You know it's all about hitting your numbers,

TASTE doesn't matter.

;) ;) ;)   ;D ;D ;D    ??? ??? ???

IMHO  while numbers help,  too many brewers are fixated on them.

You have brewed beer, enjoy it
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:39:48 pm by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »

IMHO  while numbers help,  too many brewers are fixated on them.

The Tubercle Creed.

This has stopped many a brewer from ENJOYING the craft.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:55 am »
I would think that adding sugar at this point would only add alcohol (does that in itself lighten body?), but adding sugar and water so that you maintain the same OG would lighten the body and lower your FG.

I wouldn't mess with it. Once fermentation has gotten started, I'd be too scared of oxidation. I could see adding solid sugar if you stir very carefully. I wouldn't want to add water, though, unless it was deoxygenated. Presumably, adding a boiled sugar syrup could work - high enough sugar concentration to make it hostile to bugs, plus boiling to drive off oxygen.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 04:25:59 am »
Adding sugar during fermentation is a pretty common technique among Belgian-style beer brewers, so I'm not sure why people think this might ruin this beer.

Not that I'm particularly advocating adding sugar to this beer.  While I think that dropping the FG by 1.002 is a noticeable difference, the difference here will probably be more subdued, since the amount of unfermentable sugars won't change.

ccarlson

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:05 am »
Adding sugar during fermentation is a pretty common technique among Belgian-style beer brewers, so I'm not sure why people think this might ruin this beer.

Not that I'm particularly advocating adding sugar to this beer.  While I think that dropping the FG by 1.002 is a noticeable difference, the difference here will probably be more subdued, since the amount of unfermentable sugars won't change.

I agree, it won't ruin the beer, unless too much is added..

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 07:56:45 am »
The OP is concerned that mashing higher than intended means he'll have more a "thicker" body. On one of those brewstrong interviews with Charlie Bamforth, they talk about how it really takes a ton of dextrin, all other things being equal, to increase the "body" of the beer. So mashing a bit hotter than you wanted, by itself, will have a small-to-negligible effect on the "thickness" of your beer.

From that, and my experience, I'd say the difference between actual attenuation and potential attenuation has a bigger effect on the perceived body than any of the absolute numbers. I've had a Belgian pale ferment down to 1.010 and a Saison ferment to 1.004, with almost the same OG. The pale seemed drier and thinner than the saison.

Doing a forced ferment test gives you a number to "shoot" for. You can still mess it up, like when I overshot my pale, and undershot my saison, but at least you're not flying blind.

So back to the OP's concerns, here's what I'd do. Pull off some wort and do a forced ferment test. See how your wort ferments out as-is. If you're off your mark, rouse and warm the yeast until you get the FG where you want it to be.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:47:18 am »
Given that the FG won't change appreciably, nor will the content of unfermentables contributing to perception of body, still a higher ABV might change your overall perception of the beer.  I wouldn't go over 10% of total fermentables as sugar, although I know some people go up to 20% in some recipes.

Personally I'd just leave it alone, you really don't know that you're going to need to fix it.  155F isn't so terribly high of a mash temp, depending on your yeast and ferm temp regimen you might still wind up with a low FG.  I know the Wyeast French saison yeast (3711?)  is a great attenuator.  Some of the others need really warm ferm temps to keep going properly.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:49:17 am by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 11:22:53 am »
I wouldn't add any sugar either.  Let it finish, then give it a taste.  If the FG is too high and you don't like the body, I would throw some brett in there.  It should go nicely with the saison base and dry it out a bit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:44 am »
The other option is to make another beer to blend with it. I've blended a Saison with a strong Tripel to make a really nice beer. Just another option.

You may find it to be just fine as is.  :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:30 am »
BTW, what yeast is being used?  Not that this will matter a lot, but I know WLP565 can trick you if you are not careful.  You'll think it's done and then it starts again.  Make sure that the fermentation is really finished.  I wouldn't add sugar either at this point.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »
If it was my beer, I would probably add honey or inverted sugar syrup at high krausen - I have had good experience doing that.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:42 am »
I'm surprised that no one has asked about the original recipe, to establish what might be good/bad..

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 04:17:07 pm »
It's hard to get a thick body with only a 1.042 OG. It's probably fine, but the recipe would help us decide.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:18:53 pm by Malticulous »

Offline smizak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »
You could just throw some Wyeast 3711 in (if that's not your primary strain). That yeast doesn't seem to care about mash temps.