Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What would this be?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
What would this be?
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:02 pm »
If I were to enter this in a competition, what would it be?
8# american 6 row
2# munich
1# biscuit
1# rolled oats

mash at 154* for 90 mins

1 oz cascade at 60 mins
1/2 oz williamette at 20 mins
1 oz williamette at 2 mins

I used 1056 american ale yeast on a starter.
Ferment at 67* for 10 days, or until done.

Thanks, entering my first comp with three beers, this is the only one I'm unsure of...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
Re: What would this be?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:53:44 pm »
I am guessing this is a 5.5 gal batch, 70 % efficiency, with 10 srm Munich malt. So “by the numbers” it could be on the fringe of either a slightly darker version of a 6b Blond Ale, or a lightly hopped version of a 10A American Pail Ale.

Best advice it to find a good BJCP Judge to taste it and let you know the best category to put it in. It is all about how it tastes in competition!

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:57 am »
Based on how it tastes, it's either an APA (10A), an American amber (10B) or a specialty beer (23A).

To decide, taste the beer with the BJCP guidelines in front of you, or have an experienced BJCP judge taste the beer and give you their opinion.

The oddities are the oats and the relatively high level of aroma hops. If the oat character is evident, the malt flavor and color is too dark for an APA and the hops are too prominent for it to be an American Amber, then it's a specialty beer. In that case, call it "a hoppy oatmeal American amber ale."

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:21 am »
Based on how it tastes, it's either an APA (10A), an American amber (10B) or a specialty beer (23A).

I agree. Let your taste be your guide.

Based on the recipe it looks like it falls between an APA/AAA leaning towards an AAA.
Ron Price