Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A 'sanitizey' taste?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
A 'sanitizey' taste?
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:47:56 am »
My latest batch of IPA has been in the keg for 1 week (after being in the fermenter for 31 days).  I had my first taste last night and it has a decidedly 'sanitizer-like' taste to it. 

Any ideas what might cause this?  I use Star San for all my sanitizing - and even though it's no-rinse, I usually rinse a bit. 

It's similar to that 'young' type taste I get in some homebrews if I taste them too early, but it's more prominent this time. Anyone else experienced this?  Will it dissipate over time? 

I was planning on dry-hopping this batch in the keg.  Would that help to reduce that sanitized-like taste? 

Thanks guys. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A 'sanitizey' taste?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
Can you describe that taste a little better?  Starsan doesn't really have a flavor.  Is it medicinal?  If so thats maybe from a too-warm fermentation temp or sometimes from using chlorinated tap water.  Or if its apple (acetaldehyde) or diacetyl (butter, butterscotch) its typically from racking early but sounds like this isn't the case.  Maybe the ferm temp was cool and the yeast quit early?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:41 am »
Almost slightly chloriney.

It's not from my water though - I've used the same water for ever batch & I've never had this taste before.

Also, the batch finished out to 1.012, so I don't think the yeast pooped out. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:24:13 am »
I never know if a municipal water supply might not have seasonal differences in chlorination levels.  Maybe they had a bloom of something or a test came up positive for a bug and they're reacting to that.  It could result in higher levels of residual chlorine at times.  I don't know thios for a fact but if you are sure there was no other way to have introduced chlorine, it seems possible.

Maybe you got some old hops, those can produce some odd aromas.  Seems unlikely to be an infection unless you saw a scum growing on top of the beer at some point.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:35:34 am »
Here in Des Moines our water gets very high in chlorine every Spring during flood season.  It hasn't been bad this year (yet) but I really need to watch it.  Sometimes its almost like pool water.

Unless you treat your water to deal with chlorine every time you brew you may not want to rule it out so quickly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:01 am »
If it's chlorine-like, I'd look at your water first. Maybe have someone else try it and see how they perceive the taste to be sure it's chlorine-like, and not just too young beer. I'm pretty sure it's not the Starsan. It tastes more citrusy to me.
Mark Gres

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:55:11 am »
If chlorine is the issue - is there anything I can do about it at this point?

Will dry-hopping help the situation/make it less noticeable? 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:40 am »
Not sure theres much to do if its chloramines.  Dry hopping might help, it'd be worth a shot since hop prices are reasonable.

I think a lot of people run their tap water through activated carbon as a preventive measure for chlorine.  Or you can pretreat with a little potassium metabisulfite, that quickly reacts with chlorine and turns it to salt.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:59:35 am »
OK.  I'll try the dry-hop.  I've just never had this flavor nearly so prominent before - as in it was 100% un-noticeable before but it's really there in this batch.  Thanks.
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
Almost slightly chloriney.

I can't imagine how that kind of flavor could be attributed to StarSan. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:33:38 am »
I can't either - I just wanted to mention what I used for my sanitization so you'd know I didn't use bleach to sanitize & not rinse enough or something. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:59 am »
Got it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
I can't either - I just wanted to mention what I used for my sanitization so you'd know I didn't use bleach to sanitize & not rinse enough or something. 

I haven't seen you mention it but just what do you do about de-chlorinating your water?  Also, since you rinse when you don't need to, what about chlorine in the rinse water?
Joe

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:55:23 am »
I don't treat my water - but again, I've never, ever had any 'chloriney' taste in any of my beers before - ever.  And it's pretty prominent in this beer - to the point where I would have easily been able to smell chlorine in the water as I was preparing to brew - and I definitely did not smell any at all.

Beer Monger's Blog

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:54 am »
The problem is that the chlorine in the water probably combined with wort constituents to form chlorophenols, which have a much lower flavor and aroma threshold than straight chlorine.  So even if you can't smell or taste the chlorine in the water, it can create noticeable amounts of chlorophenols which can smell like bleachy sanitizer.

Invest in some campden tablets, it's a cheap way to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Tom Schmidlin