Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Longer fermenation v longer aging  (Read 3224 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Longer fermenation v longer aging
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:46 pm »
If it were me, I would absolutely give it two weeks of primary, then raise the temp to ambient for one day before dropping it to 30F. After 24 hours at 30F, I would hit it with gelatin and wait until 24 hours before the wedding to keg and carb it.

Generally, though, I wouldn't try to rush lagers. You still have time to replace this one with am American Wheat or something like that if you're looking for an easy drinker for non beer-types. 50% Wheat Malt, 50% 2-row, about 25 IBUs, just a pinch of any aroma hop you like at 10 min, mash at 150-152 for 60 min, shoot for 1.046-1.048, give it a healthy dose of US-05/WLP001/WY1056, ferment at 60F for a couple days, then raise to ambient once it has slowed down... drop it to 30F and keg it on the 23rd. Easy as pie.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:56:05 pm by skyler »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »
If it were me, I would absolutely give it two weeks of primary, then raise the temp to ambient for one day before dropping it to 30F. After 24 hours at 30F, I would hit it with gelatin and wait until 24 hours before the wedding to keg and carb it.

Generally, though, I wouldn't try to rush lagers. You still have time to replace this one with am American Wheat or something like that if you're looking for an easy drinker for non beer-types. 50% Wheat Malt, 50% 2-row, about 25 IBUs, just a pinch of any aroma hop you like at 10 min, mash at 150-152 for 60 min, shoot for 1.046-1.048, give it a healthy dose of US-05/WLP001/WY1056, ferment at 60F for a couple days, then raise to ambient once it has slowed down... drop it to 30F and keg it on the 23rd. Easy as pie.

I would brew something else but this was the beer specifically requested by the bride and groom. but your schedule looks promising, sans geletin for dietary reasons.

So will keep it in primary until the 19th, give it one day around 70 then crash to as cold as the fridge will get for a day (that puts me at the 22nd) Keg and carb for two days. My plan is to put the two kegs I just finished on sunday on tap first then, once everyone has had a couple, tap these two. If I can get ahold of another keg before then I might also carb up a batch of homemade lemonade which is the soft option at the wedding.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »
I was wrong about the Cali Common yeast, it is supposed to work in the 55-60F range.  The one I fermented in the low 60's is kind of fruity.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO