Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Have you seen this video about Alabama/homebrewing?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline jkeeler

• Cellarman
    • BSG
Have you seen this video about Alabama/homebrewing?
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:40 am »
If haven't seen this video yet, you must.
http://northernbrewer.blogspot.com/2011/06/illegal-homebrewing-in-alabama.html
Every homebrewer should know the situation in Alabama.

cheers
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:52:20 am by jkeeler »
Better then a dull stick in the eye

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Have you seen this video about Alabama/homebrewing?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:58 am »
Link didn't work for me.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:43 am »
I saw it after seeing the Facebook post this morning.  Truly unbelievable!

Let's hope the AHA and Alamba homebrewers can educate these folks!

"What is M-E-A-D anyways?  ::)

Also...if there's a bootlegger in your county and you know where he is...arrest him.  It's probably that guy's next door neighbor!  Geez!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:10:45 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:51 am »
Wow, it seems like a real uphill battle.  :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jkeeler

• Cellarman
    • BSG
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
Link fixed, sorry about that guys!
Better then a dull stick in the eye

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
Equal parts ignorance and stupidity, theres no changing this bunch with education.  Bible Belt mentality towards alcohol isn't something you can change.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:36 pm »
 :o :o Scary stuff. Gonna be a long fight there...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
I find it sad more than anything else.  And I fear the problem the AHA and the Bama Home-brewers face is that these elected officials won't acknowledge that they are ignorant about Home Brewing, Wine Making and M.E.A.D making.  As a CT yankee, all I can do is keep paying my AHA dues to support their efforts to back up those of you in Alabama.

A tip of the hat to all of you down in Alabama and Mississippi fighting this fight.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 02:27:16 pm »
I don't even know what I can say about.  Wow, just wow.  I wouldn't be so shocked except for the 3rd (maybe 4th) gentleman they quoted who pronounced half of his words (that you could make out) incorrectly.  These guys got elected?  Wow.  I'll never look at Iowa's Senate the same way again.

I was impressed, a small amount, by the guy who actually figured out kids might be able to get booze easier this way.  To bad he missed the real argument that the kids could make it themselves.  It's not illegal for a teenager to buy grain, vegetables and yeast.   ;)  My son's friends asked him in 6th grade if he could supply the senior kegger.

I just renewed my AHA membership and it seems like I'll need to for a long time to come for the AL brewers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:11:32 pm »
Honestly I think these guys just represent their constituents and are the result of their upbringing.  Preachers pounding them about the evils of drink, and bootlegging stories of lead-laced or methanol-contaminated hooch are what these guys are familiar with.  Plus theres some real truth to the idea that alcohol has detrimental effects on society, especially to poor people who are in abundance in AL.  How does that relate to homebrew?  It is obviously seen by them as a way to make cheap liquor.

Obviously there needs to be some simplification of the next bill.  I'd do a few things based on the testimony we heard.  First, I'd lower the amount to maybe 50gal and make sure someone points ou that this is like drinking one scotch a day for one person, and point out that beer is perishable and would not actually be accumulated but consumed as it is made.  This would let homebrew shops open and who's going to count after that?  Second, I'd leave out the word "mead" since obviously the average joe doesn't know what it is and we'll just refer to it as honey wine from now on.  Third, I'd limit sales of homebrewing supplies to minors.  Then there'd be no difference in the potential for kids to obtain homebrew versus any other liquor in the house.

Then I'd point out that making beer is not cheaper than buying commercial beer.  I'd point out that Thomas Jefferson had his own brewery at Monticello (someone else made this point on the NB forum and I think it would carry some weight in a legislative body.)

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

ccarlson

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 04:21:17 pm »
Honestly I think these guys just represent their constituents and are the result of their upbringing.  Preachers pounding them about the evils of drink, and bootlegging stories of lead-laced or methanol-contaminated hooch are what these guys are familiar with.  Plus theres some real truth to the idea that alcohol has detrimental effects on society, especially to poor people who are in abundance in AL.  How does that relate to homebrew?  It is obviously seen by them as a way to make cheap liquor.

Obviously there needs to be some simplification of the next bill.  I'd do a few things based on the testimony we heard.  First, I'd lower the amount to maybe 50gal and make sure someone points ou that this is like drinking one scotch a day for one person, and point out that beer is perishable and would not actually be accumulated but consumed as it is made.  This would let homebrew shops open and who's going to count after that?  Second, I'd leave out the word "mead" since obviously the average joe doesn't know what it is and we'll just refer to it as honey wine from now on.  Third, I'd limit sales of homebrewing supplies to minors.  Then there'd be no difference in the potential for kids to obtain homebrew versus any other liquor in the house.

Then I'd point out that making beer is not cheaper than buying commercial beer.  I'd point out that Thomas Jefferson had his own brewery at Monticello (someone else made this point on the NB forum and I think it would carry some weight in a legislative body.)

If you can't make homebrew cheaper than commercial beer, you're doing something wrong.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
I am so sorry for you guys in Alabama and Mississippi. Not just because you can't brew without being lumped in with moonshiners, but also because you have some serious idiots in the state legislature. How the hell did Alvin Holmes get elected?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 04:41:42 pm »
If you can't make homebrew cheaper than commercial beer, you're doing something wrong.

I know that and you know that, but if you took a retail extract situation and compared to Busch Light on sale I think it'd serve the purpose.  we're not talking about telling the truth, heck we're dealing with politicians.  You have to counterspin their spin.

It'd also be effective to compare the alcohol content of a pint of session beer to two fingers of Chivas Regal.  I swear I about fell out of my chair laughing when the one guy started bragging about drinking Chivas.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

ccarlson

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 05:23:24 pm »

I know that and you know that, but if you took a retail extract situation and compared to Busch Light on sale I think it'd serve the purpose.  we're not talking about telling the truth, heck we're dealing with politicians.  You have to counterspin their spin.

It'd also be effective to compare the alcohol content of a pint of session beer to two fingers of Chivas Regal.  I swear I about fell out of my chair laughing when the one guy started bragging about drinking Chivas.

Oh yeah, I could spin it as being the most expensive beer around. :D