Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6-Pack Brewing  (Read 5187 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: 6-Pack Brewing
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 10:22:52 am »
I might try batch sparging next time, but I've read that batch sparging is for suckers. ;)

Then it should be right up your alley, no?  ;)
;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:26 am »
You can pasteurize milk in 15seconds at 161F.  I think putting the IC in at flameout is probably enough but if you can get 10min of boil that would probably give you peace of mind.
Well, thanks for your advice, my friend.  Haven't done this 3 gallon thing for a couple years, so I guess I needed some guidance.
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »
i have been brewing 1gallon batches and all grain.  i have been fermenting in costco 1gallon apple juice bottles. it is easy to siphon and you can see where the yeast cake lies after cold crashing/lagering.  i have been working on inverting these with two 3/8 wholes in the cap one with a small tube to the top to vent co2, the other for harvesting yeast. i have pressure tested these to over 20psi, and think they can be used as a tap a draft, working on the fittings now. normally if i don't brew on the yeast cake i swirl it up and put it in a sanitized bottle and cap it through it in the fridge till i can make new starters.

my first time with this small all grain i tried to brew in the bag. not very efficient but possible. tired of the low efficiency  i have converted my plastic bucket fermenter to a mlt. works just like a coleman but not insulated (and not blue :'() i have also toyed with using an electric roaster oven to mash in. can stir and control the temp but a little difficult to get the wort out, so probably will not go down this path.
Don AHA member

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
So how are you siphoning out of the small fermenters?  Probably not an autosiphon...  Filling the siphon hose with water seems like a little too much dilution for this small amount of beer.  Are you sucking the wort out?  Or maybe using a small diameter siphon hose?  Are you using some type of racking cane or just sticking the end of the siphon hose right above the yeast cake?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 04:47:37 pm »
They make an autosiphon meant for 1 gallon glass jugs.  It's a cute little thing.  Doesn't work with 5L flasks though unfortunately  :-\
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:22 pm »
I just stick the siphon hose in.  I wrap my starsan-ed hand around it and suck (lips to hand), it doesn't take much to get it flowing into my 1-gallon keg.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »
They make an autosiphon meant for 1 gallon glass jugs.  It's a cute little thing.  Doesn't work with 5L flasks though unfortunately  :-\

Sweet.  Why doesn't it work for the flasks?  Too big for the neck?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »

Sweet.  Why doesn't it work for the flasks?  Too big for the neck?

It's a little too short. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »
I might try batch sparging next time, but I've read that batch sparging is for suckers. ;)

Then it should be right up your alley, no?  ;)

Shazaaam!  ;D
Ron Price

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »
I use a 2-gallon round cooler with a braid, I think it was $10.  I sort of fly sparge and use a pyrex measuring cup (with a handle being the key part) to scoop water out of the hot liquor pot add it as I'm running the wort out the bottom.  I might try batch sparging next time, but I've read that batch sparging is for suckers. ;)

exactly what I have done with small batches.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member