Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Longer fermenation v longer aging  (Read 3275 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Longer fermenation v longer aging
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:55 am »
I have 10 gallons of cali common I brewed yesterday, Pitched onto the yeast cakes from another 10 gallons of the same recipe. It is destined for a wedding on June 25th so here is my questions

WOuld it be better, assuming fermentation completes in a week or so, to leave it on the yeast for two weeks and then keg and carb and cold condition for 1 week or keg after 1 week and cold condition for 2 weeks. I will not rush the fermentation so if it takes two weeks to complete so it goes but I suspect with that much yeast it will not be suprising to see it 'done' after one week. it's only 1.051 OG and I mashed at 156 so I am expecting around 1.014 FG

which is better?

two week ferm 1 week cold condition

OR

one week ferm 2 week cold condition?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Longer fermenation v longer aging
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:05 am »
I'd go the two week ferm, although ten days of each might work best.  What temp are you fermenting at?  Isn't cali common lager yeast so to be run around 60F?  I can't see that being done in a week.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:04:03 pm »
Two weeks fermentation as it will allow the yeast to have a better chance of cleaning up the beer prior to racking. I'm more concerned with the flavor as opposed to the appearance.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »
Two weeks fermentation as it will allow the yeast to have a better chance of cleaning up the beer prior to racking. I'm more concerned with the flavor as opposed to the appearance.

+1; but I'l throw in that I'd use gelatin to take care of the appearance if you're concerned.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
I'll throw in that I'd use gelatin to take care of the appearance if you're concerned.

+1, I don't think that yeast drops real fast.  Does say high flocculation, but my bottled Cali Common is taking its sweet time clearing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:25:39 pm by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
I use gelatin quite a bit especially for a case like this. Another vote for gelatin here.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:59 pm »
another vote for 2 weeks fermentation.  Even after reaching projected FG, the yeast will still appreciate the extra time to clean up after themselves.
Joe

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:03 pm »
another vote for 2 weeks fermentation.  Even after reaching projected FG, the yeast will still appreciate the extra time to clean up after themselves.
Me three on the 2 weeks and the gelatin.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:09:03 pm »
okay, the overwhelming consensus seem to be to go with the longer ferm. That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. The guests will just have to deal with cloudy beer if it doesn't clear though cause I am a vegetarian and don't use geletin or isinglass. Thanks for the advise everyone!

oh and by the way I am fermenting at 55-60 or as close as I can manage with my ghetto temp control of a timer on my ferm fridge turing it on for 30 minutes out of every 2 or 3 hours. it was at 62 this morning when I left. If it hasn't dropped by the time I get home I will up the 'on' time and try to get it down.

I don't mind cloudy beer most of the time as I feel it makes it seem more 'homemade'
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:10:54 pm by morticaixavier »
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:01:29 pm »
you overpitched by quite a bit so that will speed up the fermentation.
Brew on

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »
you overpitched by quite a bit so that will speed up the fermentation.

Yeah, that was sort of intentional as I am not a somewhat short schedule.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »
The guests will just have to deal with cloudy beer if it doesn't clear though cause I am a vegetarian and don't use geletin or isinglass.
If you want clarity you can try this.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/11772//Biofine_Clear_Clarifier_-_1oz

I've never used it, if my beers are clear that's cool, if not no problem.  But it's vegan.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:31 am »
[If you want clarity you can try this.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/11772//Biofine_Clear_Clarifier_-_1oz

I've never used it, if my beers are clear that's cool, if not no problem.  But it's vegan.

Looks similar to the kieselsol component of SuperKleer.  I'm not too sure it'd be effective on yeast, I think its negatively charged and so is yeast.  If I were using only one component I'd use the chitosan which is positiviely charged.  You can buy them separate or just buy the premeasured packets of Superkleer, it works well and fast.  I haven't noticed it to strip a lot of flavor from wine or beer, though I've only used it on beer a time or two.

As for ferm temp, I actually think you want to run the Cali common lager yeast at 60-65F don't you?  I wouldn't go lower than 60F since you want it to go quickly anyway.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:29 am »
If you want to speed the fermentation up, you could start bumping up the temperature after a few days. Maybe raise it 1-2 degrees per day until you get into the mid-60s. That will help it finish quickly and clean up any fermentation by-products.
Mark Gres

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:30:38 am »
If you want to speed the fermentation up, you could start bumping up the temperature after a few days. Maybe raise it 1-2 degrees per day until you get into the mid-60s. That will help it finish quickly and clean up any fermentation by-products.

It's running right around 60-62 right now. maybe dips a little when the fridge is actually running. sometime in the middle of this week or next weekend I wll bump the temp up a couple of degrees as a sort of d-rest and to finish it up. The 5 gallons test batch that has been in a keg for two weeks now is plenty clear for me so I don't think I will worry about fining.

thanks all!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce