Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A 'sanitizey' taste?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: A 'sanitizey' taste?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
I recommend investing in an active charcoal/sediment filter which will remove the chlorine and any relatively large size particles from your water. They are well worth the money and will give you peace of mind.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:32:54 am »
1/4 Campden tablet will remove the chlorine from 5 gallons of water.

Carbon filters remove chlorine, but not all will remove chloramines.
Brew on

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38:55 am »
1/4 Campden tablet will remove the chlorine from 5 gallons of water.

Carbon filters remove chlorine, but not all will remove chloramines.
True.  Seattle Public Utilities used to supply my water though, and they use chlorine, not chloramines.  Still, the low flow rate of most carbon filters would make me lean toward campden tablets anyway.  It might be worthwhile to have both so large quantities needed in a hurry can be done with tablets.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
I guess I'll invest in some campden tabs - bummer for this batch.  :(  
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:53 am »
I don't treat my water - but again, I've never, ever had any 'chloriney' taste in any of my beers before - ever.  And it's pretty prominent in this beer - to the point where I would have easily been able to smell chlorine in the water as I was preparing to brew - and I definitely did not smell any at all.

Just because you haven't had it before doesn't mean that they couldn't have done a temporary increase in chlorine levels.  I've seen it happen before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
I fill water bottles for my brewing water and use them a day or more later. Chlorine will come out of solution over time and especially fast in sun light. It's as easy as filling my water bottles as I boil wort.  If by chance I don't have the water ready I have campden on hand.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:44 am »
I don't think of Chlorophenols (the result of using chlorinated water in beer) as smelling or tasting much like chlorine, more like plastic.  Another thing to watch for are solvent-like aromas (similar to nail polish), that can come from stressed yeast (often associated with high fermentation temperatures) or perhaps a contaminating microorganism.  I would consider contamination a stronger possibility in this case, since you are rinsing your sanitized equipment, which isn't a good practice.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:46 am »
I don't think of Chlorophenols (the result of using chlorinated water in beer) as smelling or tasting much like chlorine, more like plastic.  Another thing to watch for are solvent-like aromas (similar to nail polish), that can come from stressed yeast (often associated with high fermentation temperatures) or perhaps a contaminating microorganism.  I would consider contamination a stronger possibility in this case, since you are rinsing your sanitized equipment, which isn't a good practice.

I was going to mention this fact yesterday. This is very possible. Starsan recommends "not rinsing" after treatment as this will only potentially compromise the sanitary condition of the equipment.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:37 am »
Tap water is an unlikely source of contamination, and in any case you'd see growth if this were the case.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:43 am »
Tap water is an unlikely source of contamination, and in any case you'd see growth if this were the case.

An infection from tap water would likely take time (weeks or more) to develop depending on the strain and amount that was present in the beer upon racking.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 10:20:31 am »
There are many kinds of chlorophenols with a wide range of aromas/flavors, some band aid, chlorine, plastic, medicinal, etc.  I'd still lean that way, but obviously nothing is definitive.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »
I've had this problem pop up before. Now I use a carbon filter for my water and treat it with a little metabisulfite just to make sure. Seems to work.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett