Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fishy beer  (Read 4125 times)

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
Fishy beer
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:28:16 am »
I recently made a Dunkelweizen with the Platinum strain Weizen Yeast from White labs. When served from the keg and a bit cold the aroma was fine but when decanted to a growler and allowed to warm up a bit the aroma was of freshly cleaned trout. Not quite pleasant. I have seen this once before at a competition and was wondering if anyone has a clue to what may cause the issue. The beer was fermented in a corny keg at 70 deg with a 4 week primary and direct transfer to another keg. I used Atmos 300 as a foam control agent (similar to Fermcap S). The beer as force carbonated at 36 degrees at 12 PSI for 2 weeks. Thanks all.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline idris_arslanian

• 1st Kit
Re: Fishy beer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:42 am »
The only thing I can think of is the water.  Sometimes in the spring here in Mpls we get very fishy smelling water for a week or so.  I believe it has to do with switching over the aquifers.
The DTs Brewhouse - Northeast Minneapolis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:19 am »
Maybe serve the beer with some tartar sauce?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:48:13 am »
Trout?  Yuck.  Walleye?  Mmmm.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:39:34 am »
Maybe it was something in the growler.  Have you tried pouring from the keg into a clean glass and letting it warm up, then giving it a sniff?  If it's still fishy drink it extra cold.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:13 am »
The beer was fermented in a corny keg at 70 deg with a 4 week primary and direct transfer to another keg.
Under pressure or just with an airlock/equivalent?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
If the water source was surface water (river, stream, reservoir), then it could be the water flavoring the beer.  Compounds such as geosmin and methylisoborneal give the water a fishy or muddy taste.  Proper filtering (read slooow) through an activated carbon filter will remove their taste and aroma from the water.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:29 am »
I think it is the yeast and the fermenting temperature.

Last night, our club had a wheat beer tasting.  11 wheat beers in all.  One of the beers had a distinct "fish guts" aroma that several of us commented on (I actually couldn't place it, but someone said "fish guts" and sure enough, that's what it smelled like).  Turned out the beer was brewed with WLP300 and was fermented at 70°F.

The beer did not have any aroma of that in the taste.  It seemed a little one dimesional, grassy and a little clove.

I like fermenting wheat beers at around 62°F.