Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY3068...Sulfur at kegging.  (Read 1735 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
WY3068...Sulfur at kegging.
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »

View Profile

Dunkelweizen...Sulfur...Carbonation
« on: Today at 02:26:40 AM »

I posted about this dunkelweizen during the fermentation period because the yeast was producing strong sulfur aroma, and I was taken by surprise.  Now that the beer has finally been kegged and carbed after a two week fermentation period, the sulfur aroma is still present, but definitely not as strong as during fermentation.  Aside from this, the flavor is quite good with clove phenolics.

Will the sulfur ever dissipate completely?  How soon?  How does one avoid this in the future?

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: WY3068...Sulfur at kegging.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »
Will the sulfur ever dissipate completely?  How soon?  How does one avoid this in the future?

Sulfur compounds are fairly volatile, so it should dissipate with time. Possibly a couple of months depending on conditioning temperature and exposure to the outside air.

I'm a bit surprised that a weizen yeast threw so many sulfur notes. Are you sure that the sulfur character was actually from yeast and not the malt?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:20:33 pm »
Nice thing about sulfur is that it always disappears with age.  Give it another week or two, and it will either be gone, or so subtle that you'll really need to search for it on your palate to detect it at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:03:40 am »

Sulfur compounds are fairly volatile, so it should dissipate with time. Possibly a couple of months depending on conditioning temperature and exposure to the outside air.

I'm a bit surprised that a weizen yeast threw so many sulfur notes. Are you sure that the sulfur character was actually from yeast and not the malt?

Apparently WY3068 is notorious for throwing off sulfur.  After another day in the keg, I can see that the sulfur aroma has diminished even further.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
I get big sulfur when I pull a sample of 3068 beer as fermentation is wrapping up.  But it is gone by the time I drink it.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:37 pm »
We had a weissbier tasting at our club meeting last night, and one of them was very sulfury.  It was a 3068 beer.

To help scrub it out I would hit it with CO2, hit the pressure relief valve, then wack it with CO2 again.  Or just wait.

This is why my favorite weissbier yeast is WY3333.