Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Ruination IPA  (Read 2253 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Stone Ruination IPA
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:16:21 am »
I'm in downtown St Louis, just beside the arch and I thought I'd give a few of the American IPAs a try. Had my first Bell's Two Hearted Ale which was good but they also had Ruination on tap so I had a couple.
7.7 ABV, 100 IBU, slight copper colour and a touch cloudy but very attractive appearance. Incredible head retention and nice lacing. Strong presence of US hops with a tonne of hop flavour and aroma. This isn't my preferred style of beer but it was pretty good and I will order it again. If you are a fan of the Two Hearted Ale I mentioned, you'll probably really enjoy this too.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Stone Ruination IPA
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:10 am »
It's been a while since I've had this beer but from my recollection, I thought the beer fit the mold for a DIPA. Lots of intense hop aroma and flavor, and very bitter. I also thought there was a fairly supportive malt presence. Overall a very good DIPA but not what I was expecting. I will be trying this beer again next week when I go to NHC in San Diego. Maybe my opinion will change when I taste a fresh one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:42:52 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:01 am »
When fresh, it's one of my all time favorite commercial beers. Enough malt presence to compliment the a$$ton of hops. I like 'em bitter and hoppy. Gonna give a clone recipe a run very soon. If and when I get it down, it will go into regular rotation.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:54 am »
When fresh, it's one of my all time favorite commercial beers. Enough malt presence to compliment the a$$ton of hops. I like 'em bitter and hoppy. Gonna give a clone recipe a run very soon. If and when I get it down, it will go into regular rotation.

+1 - I had recently given up on Ruination after a few lackluster bottles over the past 2 years, but a month back on friday happy hour, my favorite fish joint had it on tap and on special, so I gave it a whirl for old time's sake - incredible - Pliny still holds the top slot for me, but this moved back up the rankings!

maxie - ryan6458 has a pretty good clone of ruination over on NB if you need it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:21 am »
Cool! I'll look it up. Thanks for the lookout.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:20:44 am »
As long as you are in St Louis, try Schlafley's American IPA, recently came out, very good this year.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
I will try to find it. Had a bunch of the pale ale last night and a "Big Bison Ale" but can't recall the maker. It was good but had an interesting caramel or molasses flavor that I can't quite place. They've got Schafly's Hefeweizen and Summer Lager. May have to go out on the town to find the IPA.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »
Couldn't find it. Had a Cathedral Square "Belgian Style" IPA. Pretty good. Bitter but less hop aroma.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 08:47:19 am »
Ruination fresh from the source (Stone Brewing in Diego) is hard to beat. Its a big one but oh sooooo good when you get it fresh from the brewery. Love me some Bells 2 Hearted as well. You got two awesome American treats on that visit, my friend.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:54 am »
Ruination fresh from the source (Stone Brewing in Diego) is hard to beat.

That's what I'm putting my money on next week.  :)
Ron Price

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »
From the brewer at Stone:

Stone Ruination IPA
2-row pale malt
C-15 crystal malt
Magnum and Centennial hops
Finishing ABV=7.7%; IBU’s=105

He also suggests using WLP002...