Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canned Microbrews  (Read 11914 times)

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
Re: Canned Microbrews
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 08:14:47 pm »
Still not sold on the cans. I had a Butternuts mixer 12 pack and couldn't drink 10 out of the 12 beers because they were horrible. The Pork Slap was the only drinkable out of it. I actually tossed the last 4 beers. I've also had a few others that had a metallic taste and no nose to it. Can anyone suggest a decent beer in a can thats available in the north east? I've seen Dale's but I've honestly been turned off. A bit extreme i know but thats just how i am.
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 08:26:49 pm »
I've also had a few others that had a metallic taste and no nose to it.

You're not drinking directly from the can, are you?  Have to admit that I'm not a real can fan either but drinking that way'll guarantee a metallic taste.
Joe

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
I've also had a few others that had a metallic taste and no nose to it.

You're not drinking directly from the can, are you?  Have to admit that I'm not a real can fan either but drinking that way'll guarantee a metallic taste.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like your beer in a can? I can say i drank it both from glass and can and can't say it was better either way. From a consumer standpoint: why put it in a can if you have to bring a glass with you to enjoy it? IMHO even Guinness in a can has a metallic taste that it doesn't have from Draught or bottle. Maybe I'm just too much of a beer snob, but I think cans cheapen the beer and ruin the taste. I guess if I was to have a BMC beer, I at least know its gonna taste like ass and I know what I'm getting into. Craft brewers work so hard to bring flavor and personality to beer, why F it up with a can? I know the answer will be cost, but........
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:27 pm »
Portability is the best reason to can a beer, seems some of us like a good beer when we are out in the sticks. and face it. bottles are a b**** to haul out of the back country, Id love the option to purchase a great beer in a can.
Beer in various stages!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 12:41:31 am »
Cans are better at protecting the beer from light and O2.  I don't think it cheapens the beer at all, but that's me.  Fort George has some nice beers in 16 oz cans.  Good stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 08:01:11 am »
A new brewery by my house opened last year, Brewery Vivant. They can a few of their beers and I think it's great! I love cans! I also love German beers, but I won't buy it unless it's in a can. Taste a bottled German beer next to a canned one and you will taste the difference immediately!

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:20 am »
If I'm on the river, on the lake, at the camp site, fishing, hiking....whatever I'm doing out doors.....I just put the can up to my lips and drink in the sweet hoppy goodness. If I find myself with leftover cans when I return home, I always pour into a glass. Just something about drinking from a glass at home... One more argument for cans: You cant make a pipe from a bottle! Sometimes you need to have a Macgyver moment when you're out there in the wilderness and that empty can...well, that empty can will come in handy right about now! ;)
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

narvin

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:05 am »
Still not sold on the cans. I had a Butternuts mixer 12 pack and couldn't drink 10 out of the 12 beers because they were horrible.

In this case, it's definitely not the cans' fault...

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2011, 10:51:38 am »
Just out of curiosity, why don't you like your beer in a can?

Well, the first and most obvious reason, considering the forum we're in, is that you can't reuse cans.  I prefer brown crown cap bottles so I have somewhere to put my homebrew.

The second reason, well, at the risk of getting political, I prefer not to deal with Bisphenol A that's used in some can linings.  Folks can argue the risks til they're blue in the face (global warming anyone?), but the simplest (pragmatic?) thing is to just not deal with it at all.

Joe

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »
Just out of curiosity, why don't you like your beer in a can?

Well, the first and most obvious reason, considering the forum we're in, is that you can't reuse cans.  I prefer brown crown cap bottles so I have somewhere to put my homebrew.

The second reason, well, at the risk of getting political, I prefer not to deal with Bisphenol A that's used in some can linings.  Folks can argue the risks til they're blue in the face (global warming anyone?), but the simplest (pragmatic?) thing is to just not deal with it at all.

That's interesting. The new brewery near my house (Brewery Vivant) cans their beer and puts a big explanation on all their cans as to how they compared bottles and cans and decided that cans are a 'greener' option than bottles. I really don't know what the truth is, but that's what they put on their cans.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »
That's interesting. The new brewery near my house (Brewery Vivant) cans their beer and puts a big explanation on all their cans as to how they compared bottles and cans and decided that cans are a 'greener' option than bottles. I really don't know what the truth is, but that's what they put on their cans.

Yeah, as is usually the case, you can manipulate statistics and studies to support whatever you'd like to say.  Here's an interesting discussion of the arguments...  http://www.slate.com/id/2186219/
Joe