Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Pabst
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »
sounds like the guys who sold if off just don't agree with how the new owners are handling it... they sound like they want to take the 'AB' approach of throw a ton of $$ and woman at it to sell more... I can understand putting a ton of effort/time into something you really believe in, it ends up in someone elses lap and they don't take the same approach you did... but being butthurt about it and making it public is a little childish...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:37 pm »
"I hope they fail."

+1  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
i guess if you got money you think you can do whatever you want and people will bow at your feet. the only reason i would bow at their feet is to spit on them.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:11 pm »
I can understand putting a ton of effort/time into something you really believe in, it ends up in someone elses lap and they don't take the same approach you did... but being butthurt about it and making it public is a little childish...
I can understand them being emotional and hurt by something that they sunk a lot of time, effort, and emotion into being completely shat upon.  One man's "childish" is another man's "passionate". :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »
PBR has been my go-to most of my drinking life. I don't like this. I'm switching to MGD.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »
why would you start drinking something else just because of one article?! This is only one side of the story... I haven't seen any new advertising about PBR.. maybe it hasn't made it out west yet... These guys who bought this had big plans to to get back to original recipes... in my perception, its been slow going but I'd rather hear the other side of the story and see what they actually do as opposed to what they want to do...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:10:16 pm »
PBR has been my go-to most of my drinking life. I don't like this. I'm switching to MGD.

That's it, I'm unfollowing you!  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »

That's it, I'm unfollowing you!  ;)

:o :o :o

I'd hate to think if I had said Milwaukee's Best :D :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »
Sounds like this crew is off to a pretty poor start. The business formula was working well. Sometimes it's best to leave a sleeping dog alone. Why would you want to mess with success.  :-\

Sounds like they need to retool the business plan....and stop aggravating their employees in order to succeed.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:29:42 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:24:29 pm »
This fight seems odd to me because it has nothing to do with the beer and everything to do with marketing.  Pabst doesn't even have a brewery any more and who knows if it tastes the same as it did when it was the largest single site brewery in the world?  If all the people buy it only because it was marketed directly to hipsters, then what does that say about their sense of taste?  Do you really care about this beer or is it more about how you feel about a retro brand?
btw we had a great raffle prize donated by the distributor at our last competition - a PBR horse shoe set in a classy wooden box.  Everybody wanted that prize.  Second best was a 50's style Schlitz cooler. 
None of that makes me want to drink a PBR or a Schlitz.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:39 pm »
I think what made me chuckle about this whole brewhaha is the fact that the old management didn't do such a great job with the beers either.  They may have had some great legacy labels,  but to them  that's all they were ...labels. 

PBR was always an American lager, but I can say pretty definitively that whatever character it had 40-50 years ago (and it did have some) is gone now and it's by and large the same with the other brands under their leaky umbrella.    The Schlitz project is interesting, but never having tasted the retooled retro version I can't say if they succeeded.   

So looks like the new management is just as bad, and judging from the comments in the article, probably worse.  Pabst is/was custodian to some great old brands (many run of the mill, but at least a few of some real distinction).  They blew it bigtime with regard to those, and the new regime will probably continue to do so.

jeffy is absolutely correct in that Pabst,  under it's previous and current owners,  is nothing more than a marketing company.  Seems they care not a whit about what they're actually marketing other than to sell it.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »
As long as PBR stays PBR, I don't care much about this.  This has been my summer/go-to beer for years.  F*ck all that hipster bullsh*t.
Jesse

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »
I picked up a 12 pack of Olympia 95% Malt in orange cans. It's fairly good, although head retention is not as good as the older recipe. It's sill cheap without marketing hype. Put money in the ingredients and not the marketing department.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »
I'd have to agree, as long as PBR stays PBR I don't much care how it is marketed.  I'm not going to drink that swill. :)
Tom Schmidlin