Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Pabst
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 02:00:09 am »
I will stick with Old Style, thank you.

Edit after reading the article to say:
"I also want to try to exit the 'Cubs' deal and divert this money behind Old Style 'Light,'" C. Dean Metropoulos wrote. The relationship between Old Style and the Chicago Cubs baseball team has existed for 61 years."

WTF??!?!?!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:05:41 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

narvin

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:32 am »
I am shocked that a couple of rich kids who spend their time with playboy bunnies and on trashy MTV reality shows are not good at managing a company that their daddy gave them.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:34 am »
I am shocked that a couple of rich kids who spend their time with playboy bunnies and on trashy MTV reality shows are not good at managing a company that their daddy gave them.

This is true. Perhaps they're not cutout to run a beer business or maybe a beer business can't be run like a pickle factory.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 05:40:55 am »

This is true. Perhaps they're not cutout to run a beer business or maybe a beer business can't be run like a pickle factory.  ;)

You obviously have never tasted Natty lite. That'll pickle ye up real good
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 06:34:09 am »
I will stick with Old Style, thank you.

Edit after reading the article to say:
"I also want to try to exit the 'Cubs' deal and divert this money behind Old Style 'Light,'" C. Dean Metropoulos wrote. The relationship between Old Style and the Chicago Cubs baseball team has existed for 61 years."

WTF??!?!?!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(
It's OK Phil, there's always the White Sox, and they've actually won a championship in the last century.  ;) ;D
Mark Gres

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 07:50:12 am »
Agree on the marketing vs beer thing.  I tried PBR for the first time recently.  I ended up staring at the can and thinking, so what gives?  I guess what you are paying for is the marketing, its sort of a fee to assuage the guilt of hipsters who want to drink cheap beer, but want to still feel good about themselves, like there is something really "authentic" or ironically blue collar about PBR.  I personally have no misgivings about this, and would feel comfortable drinking a much less stylish cheap beer were I so inclined to abuse the ol' liver, so the extra expense is wasted for me.

New owners do sound a little trashy, but I don't feel sorry for the old owners.  Business is business, get over your whininess and get another job, build up another beer brand.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:29 am »
I feel like such a putz.  I don't drink American light lagers.  I don't like them.  I don't care about them.  When people offer me one I say no thank you.  What's wrong with me?

If I could only drink SN Torpedo and Maxlrain weissbier for the rest of my life, that would be OK.  It's hip to drink American light lagers?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 08:01:43 am »
PBR has been my go-to most of my drinking life. I don't like this. I'm switching to MGD.

I switched to MGD recently. I'd be drinking Natty Boh if I could get it here, but admittedly that's for faux-nostalgia value.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 08:07:28 am »
i do miss the old schlitz malt liquor.  nothing like picking up a "rack of bull pounders"  that said i haven't had an interest pabst or their games.  i do like the light lagers particularly bud products.  i am a sour puss though and rarely buy since they became inbev. there are other products i won't buy, stores i won't visit, just because of ownership. hard earned dough goes to people i know and care about.
Don AHA member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:45 am »
i do miss the old schlitz malt liquor.  nothing like picking up a "rack of bull pounders"  that said i haven't had an interest pabst or their games.  i do like the light lagers particularly bud products.  i am a sour puss though and rarely buy since they became inbev. there are other products i won't buy, stores i won't visit, just because of ownership. hard earned dough goes to people i know and care about.

That was a "go to" back in college.  Bar had happy hour 1:00-6:00 Mon-Fri, 20oz Bulls for 75 cents.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:34:33 am »
This fight seems odd to me because it has nothing to do with the beer and everything to do with marketing.  Pabst doesn't even have a brewery any more and who knows if it tastes the same as it did when it was the largest single site brewery in the world?  If all the people buy it only because it was marketed directly to hipsters, then what does that say about their sense of taste?  Do you really care about this beer or is it more about how you feel about a retro brand?
btw we had a great raffle prize donated by the distributor at our last competition - a PBR horse shoe set in a classy wooden box.  Everybody wanted that prize.  Second best was a 50's style Schlitz cooler. 
None of that makes me want to drink a PBR or a Schlitz.

Right on, Jeffy!  Did you all notice this buried in the story?  "99 percent of Pabst's brands are brewed by Miller Brewing Co."
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:02:36 am »
This fight seems odd to me because it has nothing to do with the beer and everything to do with marketing.  Pabst doesn't even have a brewery any more and who knows if it tastes the same as it did when it was the largest single site brewery in the world?  If all the people buy it only because it was marketed directly to hipsters, then what does that say about their sense of taste?  Do you really care about this beer or is it more about how you feel about a retro brand?
btw we had a great raffle prize donated by the distributor at our last competition - a PBR horse shoe set in a classy wooden box.  Everybody wanted that prize.  Second best was a 50's style Schlitz cooler. 
None of that makes me want to drink a PBR or a Schlitz.

Right on, Jeffy!  Did you all notice this buried in the story?  "99 percent of Pabst's brands are brewed by Miller Brewing Co."

Anybody here from Milwaukee?
I visited there a couple years ago and walked by the old Pabst Brewery.  It was huge - blocks and blocks of 4-story cream city brick buildings all vacant and decaying.  Schlitz was an office park.  Miller looked more like a factory than a brewery.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:24 am »
I feel like such a putz.  I don't drink American light lagers.  I don't like them.  I don't care about them.  When people offer me one I say no thank you.  What's wrong with me?
Nothing wrong with your beer taste from where I'm sitting, but I'm going to leave the rest of your question ("what's wrong with me?") alone. :)

It's pretty rare for me to drink a light American lager, they almost never taste good and when they do it has more to do with the situation than the beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 10:35:02 am »
Nothing wrong with your beer taste from where I'm sitting, but I'm going to leave the rest of your question ("what's wrong with me?") alone. :)

It's pretty rare for me to drink a light American lager, they almost never taste good and when they do it has more to do with the situation than the beer.

For me Tom...the right situation is on the lawnmower when it's real hot. A PBR is the good in that situation. YMMV.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
I feel like such a putz.  I don't drink American light lagers.  I don't like them.  I don't care about them.  When people offer me one I say no thank you.  What's wrong with me?

For me Tom...the right situation is on the lawnmower when it's real hot. A PBR is the good in that situation. YMMV.  :)
It doesn't usually break 90 around here, and almost never 100F, so it's rarely hot enough for them to taste good.  Plus I walk behind my mower and there's no place to put the beer.  But cracking a wit after mowing works well for me, it just tastes better.
Tom Schmidlin