Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pabst  (Read 15298 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pabst
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:55 am »
Agree on the marketing vs beer thing.  I tried PBR for the first time recently.  I ended up staring at the can and thinking, so what gives?  I guess what you are paying for is the marketing, its sort of a fee to assuage the guilt of hipsters who want to drink cheap beer, but want to still feel good about themselves, like there is something really "authentic" or ironically blue collar about PBR.  I personally have no misgivings about this, and would feel comfortable drinking a much less stylish cheap beer were I so inclined to abuse the ol' liver, so the extra expense is wasted for me.

New owners do sound a little trashy, but I don't feel sorry for the old owners.  Business is business, get over your whininess and get another job, build up another beer brand.
It's this attitude that is perpetuating PBR at a "hipster" beer and it makes me angry. I'm not saying I started drinking it before the hipster PBR craze, but I had no idea it had that stigma attached to it, if it did yet, when I started drinking it.  And I'm still pretty young; haven't been drinking beer for much more than 7 years and I started out with good beer for the most part.

I like microbrewed beer a lot, but there ain't nothin' wrong with drinking some blue ribbon from time to time.  My beer consumption is mostly homebrew though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:45:36 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 11:07:09 am »
Agree on the marketing vs beer thing.  I tried PBR for the first time recently.  I ended up staring at the can and thinking, so what gives?  I guess what you are paying for is the marketing, its sort of a fee to assuage the guilt of hipsters who want to drink cheap beer, but want to still feel good about themselves, like there is something really "authentic" or ironically blue collar about PBR.  I personally have no misgivings about this, and would feel comfortable drinking a much less stylish cheap beer were I so inclined to abuse the ol' liver, so the extra expense is wasted for me.

New owners do sound a little trashy, but I don't feel sorry for the old owners.  Business is business, get over your whininess and get another job, build up another beer brand.
It's this attitude that is perpetuating PBR at a "hipster" beer and it makes me angry. I'm not saying I started drinking it before the hipster PBR craze, but I had no idea it had that stigma attached to it, if it did yet, when I started drinking it.  And I'm still pretty young; haven't been drinking beer for much more than 7 years and I started out with good beer for the most part.

I like microbrewed beer a lot, but there ain't nothin' wrong with drinking some blue ribbon from time to time.  My beer consumption is mostly homebrew though.

But your avatar makes you look like a hipster.  ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:04 am »
Agree on the marketing vs beer thing.  I tried PBR for the first time recently.  I ended up staring at the can and thinking, so what gives?  I guess what you are paying for is the marketing, its sort of a fee to assuage the guilt of hipsters who want to drink cheap beer, but want to still feel good about themselves, like there is something really "authentic" or ironically blue collar about PBR.  I personally have no misgivings about this, and would feel comfortable drinking a much less stylish cheap beer were I so inclined to abuse the ol' liver, so the extra expense is wasted for me.

New owners do sound a little trashy, but I don't feel sorry for the old owners.  Business is business, get over your whininess and get another job, build up another beer brand.

I like microbrewed beer a lot, but there ain't nothin' wrong with drinking some blue ribbon from time to time.  My beer consumption is mostly homebrew though.

;D

I have to admit, for people I don't personally know their avatar plays a big role in how I picture them.  I have no idea what your avatar is Jeff, but then I know you so it's not as important.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:21 am »
PBR, "BMC" Hamms, Oly, Schlitz, Falstaff, Bergermeister, Lucky, Schaefer, it's all "McSwill" to me.  Even as Bamforth defends the "quality control" :)  
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:29 am »
I always thought Jeff used to play in the Doobie Brothers.

Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:12 am »
The only swill I buy on any semi-regular basis are Old Style & Carling Black Label.
Both are brewed under the G. Heileman label.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
I always thought Jeff used to play in the Doobie Brothers.

Skunk!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:35 am »
The only swill I buy on any semi-regular basis are Old Style & Carling Black Label.

The closest I get to buying "swill" is Full Sail Session.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 11:38:20 am »

Which is owned by Pabst and brewed by Miller

And Denny, the full sail session is awesome.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:12 am »
And Denny, the full sail session is awesome.

Yep.  Quite a good summer beer when the heat's on..which around here is maybe one day a year!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 01:51:00 pm »
Agree on the marketing vs beer thing.  I tried PBR for the first time recently.  I ended up staring at the can and thinking, so what gives?  I guess what you are paying for is the marketing, its sort of a fee to assuage the guilt of hipsters who want to drink cheap beer, but want to still feel good about themselves, like there is something really "authentic" or ironically blue collar about PBR.  I personally have no misgivings about this, and would feel comfortable drinking a much less stylish cheap beer were I so inclined to abuse the ol' liver, so the extra expense is wasted for me.

New owners do sound a little trashy, but I don't feel sorry for the old owners.  Business is business, get over your whininess and get another job, build up another beer brand.

I like microbrewed beer a lot, but there ain't nothin' wrong with drinking some blue ribbon from time to time.  My beer consumption is mostly homebrew though.

Aw it does not!  Bill Hicks was an American hero!  Zim zam?
Jesse

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 02:06:14 pm »

Which is owned by Pabst and brewed by Miller

Correct!
(Unless you can get the Canadian Black Label, which I believe is a is Molson product & far superior.)

I also just found out that Black Label is the official beer of Beer Frisbee!!!
YAY!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:21:40 pm by Kit B »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »

Aw it does not!  Bill Hicks was an American hero!  Zim zam?

So that's who that is!  (I had to Google it.)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 02:15:37 pm »
The closest I get to buying "swill" is Full Sail Session.

Full Sail aint available in my neck of the woods, but I agree in principle.  There are so many good, flavourful craft lawnmower beers out there that I see no need whatsoever to drink cheap industrial lagers.  Right now, I have kegs of hefeweizen, pilsner, altbier on tap, and all are under 5% abv, light, crisp and refreshing.

And PBR IS for hipsters - who else would pay more for the same cheap beer but with a retro label on the can?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:21:06 pm by markaberrant »

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »
Correct!
(Unless you can get the Canadian Black Label, which I believe is a is Molson product & far superior.)

The first legal case of beer I bought was Carling Black Label in Edmonton, Alberta on my 18th birthday.  That was also the last case of Black Label I bought.