Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apollo hops  (Read 7750 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Apollo hops
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »
I already agreed to take up Apollo for my club's single hop APA endeavor... but was wondering if I should put this in an IPA, too.

The IPA will be brewed within one week of the pale ale, so I won't have tasted the pale ale in time to know what it tastes like. The plan was to bitter with Apollo and then make Apollo 1/3 of the flavor/aroma/dry hops, with the other thirds being equal parts amarillo and ahtanum ("A-Bomb IPA"). Does this sound good? I mean, is Apollo of the fruity/citrusy "new school" flavor camp like I am guessing?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Apollo hops
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:11 pm »
I already agreed to take up Apollo for my club's single hop APA endeavor... but was wondering if I should put this in an IPA, too.

The IPA will be brewed within one week of the pale ale, so I won't have tasted the pale ale in time to know what it tastes like. The plan was to bitter with Apollo and then make Apollo 1/3 of the flavor/aroma/dry hops, with the other thirds being equal parts amarillo and ahtanum ("A-Bomb IPA"). Does this sound good? I mean, is Apollo of the fruity/citrusy "new school" flavor camp like I am guessing?

can you make a little tea to get an idea of the flavour?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:18 am »
can you make a little tea to get an idea of the flavour?

In my experience, only beer will tell you what beer tastes like.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:13 am »
In my experience, only beer will tell you what beer tastes like.

If I hadn't looked at the username and avatar, I'd have sworn it was Denny.   ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:23 pm »
If I hadn't looked at the username and avatar, I'd have sworn it was Denny.   ;D

High compliment!

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:56:23 pm »
doing a single hop APA for the experiment is enough to meet the requirements of your club's endevour... if you want to do the IPA on your own, then by all means mix it up with whatever you want.. but if you want to do it on top of the APA as the same experiment, then I would say you should keep it all apollo...

Usage: Bittering (but has some great aroma characteristics)
Description: It's like Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo had a baby (and peed on it).
                   Emphasis is on Orange with resiny and spicy components.
                   Make no mistake, this is a Super High Alpha, not for the squeemish.
                   It's original name was 01051, but that just wasn't catchy, so they went with Apollo
Typical Beer Styles: Big 'ol Hoppy Ales

Typical Alpha Acid: 18 - 22%

Phoenix, AZ

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »
It's not bad in the flavor camp but with alpha acid levels over 15% they are ideal for bittering.  I've used them in big IPAs and my last barley wine for bittering.  They seem to provide bitterness without a lot of harshness and you can use less of them than pretty much any other hop variety to achieve the bitterness levels you want.  That makes your wort a little less of a hop stew and you loose less wort to the hops. 

I know I didn't really answer your question but I do like these hops for bittering.  The barley wine I brewed with these took 1st place in the local homebrew competition (the apollo hops I used had 19% AA).   

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:59:01 am »
Usage: Bittering (but has some great aroma characteristics)

Thanks for the description. I didn't know about this hop.

Typical Alpha Acid: 18 - 22%

Which means that the cones are basically one big blob of resins, with just enough strobiles left to hold the blob together.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
I tasted a cask IPA that was dryhopped with Apollo.  I am very familiar with this IPA (Wild Rose from Calgary,AB), and it was by far the tastiest version I have ever had.