Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kegged beer storage  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
kegged beer storage
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:44:53 am »
So my kegerator holds four cornies and I'd like to build up some "inventory" kegs to be on deck, take to events and such. The issue for me is I have no basement or extra fridge for storage.  I'm concerned about storing kegged beer in the garage during the summer months with warmer temperatures and fluctuations. Is this concern warranted?  Any advice? Thanks as always.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: kegged beer storage
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:11 am »
I think the concern is warranted. Do you have a closet somewhere in the interior of the house that stays stable? I'm in the keep it on the cool side camp- mainly because it gets hot as hell here and it does have an effect.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:51 am »
I could probably find some inhouse storage. Is there a "do not exceed" temperature I should try to avoid?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:48:34 am »
YMMV but I'm not crazy about my homebrew spending too long in the upper 70's. It's why I don't brew a lot during the summer and choose the winter to ramp up the production.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:57 am »
I'd try to keep it below 70 if you're trying to keep it for any length of time. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »
you could build yourself a cold box out of 2x4s and insulation and mount a small air conditioner in it.....I actually saw on craigslist someone getting rid of 2 year old 5000 btu AC for $20.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:03 am »
Hey Pinski, you need some of Wease's friends to get your inventory in check....

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:35 am »
Can you imagine coming home to find 'friends' helping themselves to your kegerator uninvited?  Or worse filling and taking growlers?  I think I'd cr@p a bomber. I do share a lot of beer and friends are welcome to come over to visit and sample to their content. Folks seem to know that if they give me honest feedback and return rinsed bottles I'l keep bringing them pleasant surprises. 
As far as the inventory issue goes I'm not going to worry to much about having too many kegs in summer storage conditions for too long.  I believe Tom had some good advice a while back. Something along the lines of, "if you're worried about it going bad, have a party". That sound easier and more fun than building a cold box and closer to the truth, more likely to get buy in from the Brewmistress.  ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified