Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DMS in Beer  (Read 2699 times)

Offline jimbo44

• Cellarman
DMS in Beer
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:21 pm »
yesterday i brewed a high gravity baltic.  I believe I sparged too quickly.  After cooling and pitching my OG came in lower then it should have.  I decided I wasn't happy with that so I Boiled 0.5 lb of DME in about 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.  Cooled and added it to the wort.

I am worried that because I didn't do a full boil there may be larger amounts of Dimethyl Sulfides in that DME wort.  My question is, Has anyone ever done this and what where your results?  Also, Is DMS prevelent in all grain wort only, and because DME has been processed it will be absent of DMS?  Its a dark beer so I am not as worried but I am curious.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: DMS in Beer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 05:27:42 am »
  Also, Is DMS prevelent in all grain wort only, and because DME has been processed it will be absent of DMS?  ............

That's what I have heard
Dan S. from NJ

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:24:03 am »
I would expect it to have been boiled off of the DME before packaging :)
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:47:57 am »
This was discussed in one of the first threads here:http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

Merry Christmas.

Kai