Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do yeast starters add significant alcohol content?  (Read 7551 times)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
Do yeast starters add significant alcohol content?
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:23 pm »
If I made a yeast starter when I brewed, will it be enough additional alcohol to need to take that into account when calculating alcohol content?
I made a 2 liter yeast starter using 7.3 oz of DME and a smackpack of yeast and fermented it for almost 24 hours.
I did an extract batch, so I only boiled 3 gallons, then I topped off to 17 liters and then pitched my yeast to make 19 liters (5 gallons).
My OG after pitching was 1.082 and my FG was 1.020.  Do those measurements take into account the alcohol from the yeast starter?  Or do I need to add something to my ABV calculation?
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Do yeast starters add significant alcohol content?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
It's not going to make that much of a difference. That said, I always finish my starter to completion, decant spent starter beer and pitch only the slurry if it is anything larger than a 1 L starter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »
It's not going to make that much of a difference. That said, I always finish my starter to completion, decant spent starter beer and pitch only the slurry if it is anything larger than a 1 L starter.

Agreed on both.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:30 pm »

Agreed on both.

Me three...I also follow major's method.

I'll also add that even if you did add some of the spent wort it will usually be a dilution as starter worts typically range 1.020-1.030 strength to begin with.
Ron Price

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:02 pm »

I'll also add that even if you did add some of the spent wort it will usually be a dilution as starter worts typically range 1.020-1.030 strength to begin with.

+1

Same with whole fruit (most fruit in most beers), for the record.

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:34:21 am »
I'm assuming that at the most it would only add maybe 0.1% to ABV.
Nice to know the extra little tidbit about decanting and just pitching as much yeast as possible percentage-wise.

Thanks for the quick responses.  :)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:37 am »
Right, for most beers the starter wort would lower the ABV, not raise it.

However, I also decant.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:50:14 am »
A starter should never add much alcohol to a beer.  The point of a starter is to grow yeast, not produce beer.  Reduced starter wort gravity and oxygen contact encourages a different metabolic pathway for the yeast which reduces alcohol production and increases yeast biomass growth. 

As pointed out above, low gravities of 1.020 to 1.030 are not going to produce a good tasting end product and decanting that spent wort off the yeast cake should be an improvement to the overall taste of the beer the healthy yeast cake is pitched into. 

A discrepancy to the recommendation above is that if the yeast are going into a much higher gravity wort, the starter gravity should be increased proportionally.  I'd say that if the wort was more than about 40 points higher than the yeast starter wort, you might want to step the starter wort gravity up so there isn't as much difference in the gravities.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:24:56 am »
The starter has a certain ABV, since when you add it you also increase the volume by that amount then unless the starter is a higher ABV than the beer, you will actually be diluting.  Since most starters are 1.030-1.040 it is more likely to dilute than increase.
 Heres an example:

A 1.030 OG  2L starter is added to a 20L batch of 1.050 OG beer.  90% of the resulting volume will be an ABV reflecting the 1.050, 10% will be 1.030.  (0.9 x 50) + (0.1 x 30) = 48, the resulting 22L of beer will be an ABV reflecting an OG of 1.048.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:26:20 am »
Regarding the OG of a starter, I know the lower OGs are easier on the yeast but I think that if its too low (1.030) there wouldn't be much cell division before the food was used up.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:42:53 am »
Regarding the OG of a starter, I know the lower OGs are easier on the yeast but I think that if its too low (1.030) there wouldn't be much cell division before the food was used up.

1.030 is what I always use and get great results.  I've never actually counted cells, but judging by the volume of slurry there's plenty of growth going on.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:48:01 am »

1.030 is what I always use and get great results.  I've never actually counted cells, but judging by the volume of slurry there's plenty of growth going on.

Agreed...and also a gentle environment for them to multiply in which ultimately leads to minimal stress on the yeast.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:03:36 am »
My starters range from 4-5+% (1.040-1.055) and I drink them.   These are 5 gallon starters.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 06:39:44 am »
My starter was a 2 liter starting at 1.040.  I heard that was a good concentration for a higher gravity beer since making a starter much higher could stress the yeast in the starter before they got pitched and started on the actual beer.
I had a pretty good yeast cake after 24 hours and, man, I think I got airlock bubbling within a few hours after pitching.  The starter really helped for this beer given how I overshot my OG quite a bit. (thanks for the insistence of a yeast starter, Denny  :) ).
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 09:37:15 am »
My starter was a 2 liter starting at 1.040.  I heard that was a good concentration for a higher gravity beer since making a starter much higher could stress the yeast in the starter before they got pitched and started on the actual beer.
I had a pretty good yeast cake after 24 hours and, man, I think I got airlock bubbling within a few hours after pitching.  The starter really helped for this beer given how I overshot my OG quite a bit. (thanks for the insistence of a yeast starter, Denny  :) ).

well, since that worked for ya, here's a bit more advice...you don't need a higher gravity starter for a higher gravity beer.  The higher the gravity, the more the yeast are stressed.  The purpose of a starter is to have a good population of healthy yeast and lower gravity starters do that better.  No matter what the OG of the beer I'm making, my starter gravity never goes over 1.030.  It's not that 1.040 is bad so much as that lower is better.

www.dennybrew.com