Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Monkey  (Read 12073 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Golden Monkey
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »
To me, Strisselspalt is kinda floral.  If you had to, you could sub Hallertauer or Mt. Hood and at least be in the ballpark.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:45 am »
They most definitely use Coriander at Victory.  They also use acidulated malt.  I took a tour there and we went into the brewers' office where the brew log was opened to a page with the latest batch of Golden Monkey.... I should have taken a picture. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 10:18:55 am »
Kegged this batch yesterday. 

It was tasty, clean and strong.  I cultured the yeast from a couple bottles of Golden Monkey and it took the gravity from 1.085 down to 1.010.  Fermented around 68, topping out at 72 during fermentation.

I'll have to see what it's like when it is carbonated, but I was surprised that the Victory yeast did not produce more esters.  It was a very clean flavor. Not that I'm complaining, just not what I typically expect for a Belgian style.  It also had a sweet flavor, which I did not expect since it attenuated pretty well.

Thanks for the recipe Denny!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:05 am »
IIRC, Victory bottles with a different yeast than the fermentation strain.  I'm not positive about that, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »
I thought that might be the case, based on the results.

According to an old post I just found (and did not find prior to brewing) they ferment with the Belgian yeast, cold condition with a standard ale yeast, and bottle with a lager yeast...  So who knows what I just fermented with.

Whatever yeast it is, it did the job.  It's tasty beer, if not quite a GM clone.  I'll have to pick up some GM and do a taste test in a couple weeks.

And perhaps I'll try again with a Belgian strain and see how that turns out.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:12:44 pm by Joe Dunne »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton