Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee roasting  (Read 10644 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Coffee roasting
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:55 am »
This is actually my grinder (though not an actual photo of it).

I hate to admit how much I love it...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

boulderbrewer

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »
I use this for grinding.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopper-Cast-Grinder-Wheat-Grain/dp/B0038NPJVG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1290033885&sr=8-5

That there is my grain mill. I dunno that I'd use coffee in it, though, as I'd be worried about coffee oils making my grain taste weird.

That is how I started but I have since moved to a different grain crusher, so I have to use what I have and it rocks as a coffee grinder. Sort of a poor mans bur grinder.

beveragebob

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:07 am »
I started with a Hot Top and loved it. Used it for over 5 years then I moved up to this:

Except mine is black and this is a pic of the model not me.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 08:56:41 pm »
Nice barrel roaster, how long does it take to cool after the first crack and when do you dump to hit the second crack without going overboard. You roast 25# at a time.  That is a crazy wild machine for roasting!

beveragebob

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:23 am »
Depending on the varietal, I usually do light to medium roasts, I usually dump the beans in the cooling tray ~ 10-15 seconds after first crack. I take some espresso blends into rolling second crack then dump. The machine holds 5 Lbs of green but, I can do concurrent back to back batches. I can do about 20#'s an hour. I just did 10#'s the other day for a neighbor of mine that wants to give good fresh roasted coffee for XMAS gifts.   

boulderbrewer

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »
I was thinking you did this for a business. Cool that you got this at home. I cringe at roasters that only produce the oily,charred mess. Nice burr grinder by the way.

beveragebob

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »
I did it for my Chocolate and Coffee shop that got nailed by the economy. We shut down but, kept all of our toys. You don't even want to see my espresso machine or my commercial coffee brewing equipment.  :D

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 05:24:01 am »
I did it for my Chocolate and Coffee shop that got nailed by the economy. We shut down but, kept all of our toys. You don't even want to see my espresso machine or my commercial coffee brewing equipment.  :D

Actually we do want to see it.........
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:36 am »
Where was your shop, what was the name?  I think I may have been in there.  My wife is getting a MSN from NMSU so she goes over there a couple of times per semester.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

beveragebob

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 12:34:35 am »
Our shop was back in Chico, CA. It was called Chocolate Mystique Cafe. Moved to Las Cruces to pick up an aerospace job with NASA to keep a roof over my head. I'll post some pics of my other gadgets I still have.

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 09:26:35 am »
Well I hope my wife likes coffee roasting! I just dropped down on a Behmor 1600 and a Krups GVX2 Burr Grinder last night. Could be an interesting Christmas! I know almost nothing about this, but I do love a good cup of coffee and the whole process looks pretty fun.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 12:51:09 pm »
Well I hope my wife likes coffee roasting! I just dropped down on a Behmor 1600 and a Krups GVX2 Burr Grinder last night. Could be an interesting Christmas! I know almost nothing about this, but I do love a good cup of coffee and the whole process looks pretty fun.

Uh oh.  You better check out the The Doghouse!! thread...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 12:16:16 am »
Here are picks of my toys. They are mostly off of Google Images being I'm at work and don;t have access to all my Cafe Pics.:
I'm using the Mazzer Mini and the Silvia in my residence. The La Marzocco GB5 is stored safely away in storage at my abode.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:21:33 am by beveragebob »

boulderbrewer

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:20 pm »
Is a electric burr grinder better than a corona mill for a small time coffee enthusiast.

I wish I could roast more than  8 oz at a time, we go through a pound in less than a week.

beveragebob

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Corona mill is for grinding grain for flour, I don't know how it would perform grinding coffee but, a burr grinder is "designed" to grind coffee so, I'd go that route if I were you.