Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA member discount program  (Read 1688 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
AHA member discount program
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »
In my state, (Washington) I get no discounts because state law prohibits such.  Has the AHA ever done any work to get this type of law changed? 

I don't even know where to start.  But my local brewpub would certainly give a discount, if it were legal.  So, I want to find out if anyone has attempted or been successful. 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: AHA member discount program
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:34 pm »
You might want to check with Tom because I think they're trying to organize an approach on this.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
Mic, we can talk about it in SD.  It's still illegal, but we might have an angle.  We're working with Gary and the AHA on it, but it's slow going.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline holzster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »
Just curious here - is the law for discounts because it is alcohol related? or....

Here in TX we have that dumb law about alcohol must go through a distributor, There is a fight going on now in the TX legislature but the distributors are putting up big bucks to stop it so.....  I would love to see some more small brewers coming in to TX, but they will not because of it.
Thanks

Holzster

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:30 pm »
In Virginia, it's also illegal to discount the booze but all of the (unfortunately few) places that participate still will discount the "Food and Merchandise" (ie. the Dogfish Head Alehouses discount 15%).
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »
It's some weird rule about members of an association giving discounts to other members of the association.  It's mainly an issue as far as I understand because the AHA and BA are intertwined.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »
Mic, we can talk about it in SD.  It's still illegal, but we might have an angle.  We're working with Gary and the AHA on it, but it's slow going.

Sounds like a plan.  I'll help where I can.  We do have a state rep that has come to a couple of our meetings. 

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »
This is good to hear, as this has been a frustration of mine as well.  I've also found however, that if you ask a host or bartender at a brewpub, some will still give a discount.