Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Came up short!!!!!!  (Read 6277 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Came up short!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »
A refractometer is a fine tool for measuring OG, its a pain in the a$$ to use for FG and not that accurate.  I have the refrac because I make wine and I do love it for the initial measurements.
How so?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:10 pm »
A refractometer is a fine tool for measuring OG, its a pain in the a$$ to use for FG and not that accurate.  I have the refrac because I make wine and I do love it for the initial measurements.
How so?

What's he referring to is the fact that refractometers are not accurate in the presence of alcohol.  They're fine for pre-fermentation measurements but once there's alcohol present, they don't read accurately.  There are various spreadsheets available that'll help you with correction calculations but they vary in accuracy and using them is probably the "pain in the a$$" he's talking about.
Joe

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »

Tip of the day: If you just have one, you will break it soon. Buy 2 and it will last forever.
Tubercle is wise.

I see new hydrometer(s) in my future! Calibrated mine tonight and its 6 points off! Not huge but I'd like to dial that in a little.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:35 pm »
Tip of the day: If you just have one, you will break it soon. Buy 2 and it will last forever.

+1  And applies to way more than just hydrometers

+1  And I used to think this applied to thermometers as well, but my last brew day was a three thermometer day.  That is - three thermometers went in the trash: my Farberware knockoff of a Taylor that I recommended in a another thread - it was reading 40F too high, and two standard floaters that were broken in the process.  I have a Polder remote thermometer in route now, but at this rate I'll be up to the cost of a Thermopen in no time.  >:(
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:40 am »
How so?

What's he referring to is the fact that refractometers are not accurate in the presence of alcohol.  They're fine for pre-fermentation measurements but once there's alcohol present, they don't read accurately.  There are various spreadsheets available that'll help you with correction calculations but they vary in accuracy and using them is probably the "pain in the a$$" he's talking about.
What he said.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO