Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many times do you use a racking cane?  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: How many times do you use a racking cane?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »
I just broke another auto-siphon last week. It's a nice gadget, but this is the third one I've broken in the last year and a half. Next time I hit the LHBS, I plan on picking up a stainless racking cane.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:16:18 pm by Mark G »
Mark Gres

Offline brians

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »
Man, this is informative. I'm using the plastic canes but usually they get kinda funky on my after about half a brewing season. I get paranoid and replace them, only costs me about 3.50 but it will add up eventually. Perhaps I should switch to SS. Thanks for the pointers.

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »
Stainless.....That way you cant see the stuff inside!!   Just sayin....
Beer in various stages!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 06:39:39 am »
I point the racking cane and hose ends up and hold in one hand and fill the hose/cane up with beer with a turkey baster. I put my thumb (AKA Tubercle Valve) over the hose then put the cane in the carboy or bucket and release the "valve" on the hose in the other container.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:28 am »
I used the same plastic racking cane for years until breaking it in half during a move.  I wonder about the staining though, do you guys not clean your cane immediately after use?  Mine remained clear until the end.  Anyway, after breaking my cane I decided to try the autosiphon.  And while I'm on my second autosiphon after breaking the first, I gotta say, I love it.  It's easily my favorite brewing tool.  You can take my refractometer and thermopen (ok, I don't have a thermopen), but don't take my autosiphon.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »
You can take my refractometer and thermopen (ok, I don't have a thermopen), but don't take my autosiphon.

I can live without my refractometer but if you come anywhere near my thermopen you'll pull back a bloody stump  ;)

I'm an autosiphon disciple but I've recently got everything together I need to push the transfers with CO 2 ala Drew.  I just haven't gotten around to putting it all together yet.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Simon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:59 am »

Like others here, I've long moved from plastic to stainless for my racking cane. It only took me braking one auto-siphon (on it's second use) and two plastic racking canes after roughly five or six uses.

I'm too chicken s*** to go anywhere near pumping CO2 into the fermenter so it's carboy cap/sanitary filter combo for me :)

To be perfectly honest, this setup is ideal except for the need to lift the carboy up above the target. One of these days I'll look into a pulley system!!  :-\      Either that or go CO2

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 10:52:39 am »
CO2 should be harmless.  I'm pretty sure it's going to force the carboy cap off of the carboy before the carboy will break.  I might have to test that with one of my bad carboys.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
CO2 should be harmless.  I'm pretty sure it's going to force the carboy cap off of the carboy before the carboy will break.  I might have to test that with one of my bad carboys.

carefully!

I wonder how many PSI are you creating with by blowing into the sterile filter method of starting the syphon? granted it's not constant but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »
I used to know how to do this calculation . . . figure you're raising it a foot or so since you only have to get it to the top of the racking cane.  And the surface area being raised is less than a square inch.  I can't remember the equation but I would guess it is 1/2 psi or less.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
I would guess ...

And you call yourself a scientist!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »
I used to know how to do this calculation . . . figure you're raising it a foot or so since you only have to get it to the top of the racking cane.  And the surface area being raised is less than a square inch.  I can't remember the equation but I would guess it is 1/2 psi or less.
One PSI will raise a column of water 27 inches and a fraction.  Diameter as not come into the equation,  as the prfessue works on the surface of the fluid. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 11:18:39 pm »
I would guess ...

And you call yourself a scientist!
Do I? :)  It's an engineering question anyway.  ;D

One PSI will raise a column of water 27 inches and a fraction.  Diameter as not come into the equation,  as the prfessue works on the surface of the fluid. 
Fair enough - but about a half psi for a foot, like I guessed. I'll take it.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:55 am »
I just broke another auto-siphon last week. It's a nice gadget, but this is the third one I've broken in the last year and a half. Next time I hit the LHBS, I plan on picking up a stainless racking cane.

FWIW, I've discovered that the largest size Fermtch autosiphons usually fail when the inflow valve breaks or gets dislodged. After wasting way too much time trying to reseat the little plastic widget, I discovered that a cleaned and sanitized penny makes an excellent replacement. Just make sure to remove the penny after you're done and rinse and dry it carefully until you need it again.

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 08:11:35 pm »
Rule of thumb for replacement is every 6 months for tubing (earlier if it clouds or shows scratches) and every 12 months for auto-siphons.  I'm really excited to learn about the stainless steel/carboy cap solution.  I'm sick of lifting full carboys and less than reliable auto-siphons!
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine