Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 1199 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Rhubarb
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:45 am »
A search showed that this has been talked about before so perhaps someone can link me to the appropriate thread.

I have a surplus of this right now, just wondering about a rhubarb wheat beer for summer.  Anyone tried using it?  How much in 5 gals to give a presence?  Would a wheat be the right choice?  What yeast?  I'm going to harvest and freeze it because we are having a postal strike and I don't want to order yeast until thats over but I would think it wouldn't matter and may help release the flavour if I do this.  Add to primary or secondary?  Dumb idea - don't bother?

Thinking 45/45/10 wheat/pilsner/crystal 45 malt with a touch of cascade hops but not much.  Crystal for a bit of sweetness to balance the tartness.  Would Vienna be a better choice than Pilsner for this reason?

Please advise.
Thanks.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:08 am »
adding C45 to it, you're going down a dunkleweizen path... I don't think you need it at all. I'd say 50/50 mix of pale/wheat. If you want/feel you need to darken it up a bit or add some 'sweetness' then use vienna instead of the pale malt. As for how much of rhubarb to use.. its been so long since I've had it, I remember its tart but not how strong the flavor is. I would say add it to secondary though.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:46 pm »
Thanks Ehall.  Any other thoughts?