Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Lateral hop shoots  (Read 4338 times)

vorlaufthegreat

Lateral hop shoots
« on: June 11, 2011, 02:51:09 pm »
This is the first year that I have grown hops. My tallest bine is around 10 ft. tall so far and the shortest  being around 4 ft. About a week ago I started to get my first lateral shoots. They are now about 2 ft long and getting to the point of not being able to support themselves growing out horizontally. Should I train these guys around the string my main bines are running up or should I add other strings that can support them? From most pictures I see of bines much further along then mine I don't see these long horizontal shoots coming off the sides so it's leading me to believe that they are just trained along with the main bine.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Lateral hop shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »
You're ahead of the pack by having laterals that long being that it's just a first year plant.  Some varieties tend to produce much longer laterals than others. My Cascades average about 2-3 feet, Chinook 3-4 feet and Redvines can be as long as 5-6 feet.  One thing you may want to check is to see if the growing tip of that plant was broken off.  If that happens before the majority of the vegetative growth has occurred, the energy ends up redirected into the laterals.  I don't think it necessarily means you will get a bigger harvest but just that the laterals will be bigger.  I'd just let them be and see what happens.  Once the laterals become filled with cones the plants look very pretty - especially during a mild breeze. 

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »
let em be, don't mess with them... they'll be fine!
Phoenix, AZ

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:11 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas. Also another problem I have ran into is that I am starting to see a few aphids on the undersides of my leaves. I know that ladybugs are a good solution and have looked around for some other cures to getting rid of them. I want to stay away from using chemicals and have seen a couple other ideas on using mouthwash/ vegetable oil mixed with luke warm water in a spray bottle. Looking for some testimonials for getting rid of these little bastards!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:49 am »
until the cones start to set you can probably get good results with a dishsoap/veg oil mix, just enough soap to get the oil and water to emulsify. The oils kill the adults and the eggs so you might be able to knock the infextation down if you start soon. after cones start you shouldn't use anything but cold water and as the cones get bigger you just have to hope that the lady bugs and healthy growth rates will outrun the critters.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:25 am »
recipe for a home remedy to get rid of aphids
1 cup vegetable or white mineral oil
2 cups water
2 teaspoons dish soap (without bleach) or Murphy’s soap

Alcohol sprays work on aphids, mealybugs, scale insects, thrips and whiteflies. Alcohol sprays have been used successfully on houseplants and tropical foliage plants. Most of these have heavy, waxy cuticles that are not easily burned.
How to Make:    Use only 70% isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol): mix 1 to 2 cups alcohol per quart of water. Using undiluted alcohol as a spray is very risky for plants. You can also mix up an insecticidal soap spray according to the dilution on the label but substitute alcohol for half of the water required.
How to Use:  Since alcohol can damage plants always test your spray mix on a few leaves or plants first. Tests results should show up within 2 or 3 days.

Aphids:
For aphid control we carry: 1600 X-Clude, Diatomaceous Earth, Garden Dust Insecticide/Fungicide,

Ants "farm" aphids often keeping them in their nest during winter, then bringing them out in spring and placing them on the host plant.  The ants eat the honeydew the aphids produce and move them from plant to plant spreading any diseases that are present. The honeydew favors formation of a black fungus known as "sooty mold." Control of the ants may often solve the aphid problem.  Aphids abound in warm moist environments and will attack almost anything, favoring succulent new growth.
Predators: Green lacewings, ladybugs and their respective larvae have a voracious appetite for aphids. Larvae from the syrphid fly also consume aphids. Hover flies and praying mantis feed on aphids.
Repellent plants: Anise, chives, coriander (cilantro), garlic, onions, petunias and radish. Nasturtiums act as a trap crop. Aphids definitely prefer yellow flowers.

Squashing a few aphids around the infested plants releases a chemical signal that makes the other aphids drop from the plants and leave.
To foil aphids: flatten a square of aluminum foil around the base of plants to bounce light on the undersides of leaves. This also helps the plants in giving them more light.
Try a barrier of  powdered charcoal, calcium dust or bonemeal to keep them away from your plants.
Stinging Nettle Spray: Aphids & Thrips - Cover 1 quart nettles with water, cover and ferment for 3 weeks. Mix 1 part nettle tea with 7 parts water. Spray.
Spread out a barrier of tansy around the base of the plant to stop those ants.
Use a spray made from a tea of tomato or potato leaves and water.
  Chop 12 or so tomato leaves and 1 chopped onion in 1/2 cup of of 70% isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes. Apply the mixture directly on aphids with a cue tip or paintbrush.
A forceful spray of water is often enough to knock the aphids off the plant and may discourage the ants, well sometimes.
Put a bright yellow plastic pan in a strategic spot in the garden. Fill it a third of the way full with water. Aphids are drawn to the yellow color, land on the water, sink and drown.
A soap spray can be used to strip them of their protective wax coating, dehydrating them. Mix 1 tablespoon of Castile soap to 1 gallon of water, spray.
Garlic oil spray can kill aphids and other soft bodied pests.
A dusting of diatomaceous earth is lethal to aphids. Wear a mask when using DE.
Teas made from elderberry or rhubarb leaves can act as a deterrent. Oxalic acid is the compound present in these plants that makes a spray effective. It is poisonous.
Place banana peels at the base of infested plant. The peels give them a shot of potassium too!
Also See: Treatments: Horseradish, elderberry and yarrow tea.
For wooly aphids on apple trees: grow the trailing type nasturtiums training them  to wrap up and around the tree trunk to ward off these pests. Very attractive too! Note: nasturtiums will specifically attract the black aphid while repelling others.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:33 am »
I've achieved very good control with a mild dish soap spray.  Just make sure and double check your concentration for whatever you decide to spray.  Happy Growing!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
EHall,

Great info, I am taking that home with me.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:45 am »
EHall,

I must have missed your post.  Thanks a bunch.  One question, why castile?  Will any home made soap work.  Just wondering.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »
I believe becuase its natural/organic. Thats what these remedies are all about...
Phoenix, AZ

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
Very awesome! Thanks a bunch for the ideas. Now to go give these buggers a good spraying!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »
Very awesome! Thanks a bunch for the ideas. Now to go give these buggers a good spraying!

Just remember, whether organic or not, more is not necessarily better.
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »

Just remember, whether organic or not, more is not necessarily better.

+1000
-A Einstein

- J Joyce