Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anise Extract  (Read 2240 times)

Offline cytorunner

• Cellarman
Anise Extract
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »
Hello all,

I am currently finishing a Star Anise Stout in primary and I would like to punch up the anise flavor and aroma and I think that an anise extract could do the trick.  I little background I added 2 oz of whole star anise to the boil and the beer current has a nice anise background but I think it could use a bit more.  I was going to make a simple extract of whole star anise and vodka or grain alcohol and add a few ounces at kegging.  So here are my questions

1.) My recipe for the anise extract is to fill a mason jar approx. 1/2 way with whole star anise and then filled with vodka or grain alcohol allow the mixture to sit for about a week and then use.  Is this a sound recipe or is there a better one you can suggest?

2.)  I do not want the anise flavor to over power the stout but I want people to know they are drinking a beer with star anise, do you think 4 oz of extract at kegging would do the trick or should I adjust the measurement up or down?

3.) Will an extract made from alcohol impart a hash "alcohol" flavor to the stout, it's a foreign extra stout so it is a bit high on the ABV but I do not want the beer to become too harsh.

4.)  Is this nothing more then the fevered dream of a mad man, should be happy with the background flavors I currently have, keg and carb in a week and see how it comes out?

Thanks for your input I look forward to you responses.

Jim
Jim

On Tap: Irish Red
Primary: Brown Porter
Secondary: Nothing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anise Extract
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
2.)  I do not want the anise flavor to over power the stout but I want people to know they are drinking a beer with star anise, do you think 4 oz of extract at kegging would do the trick or should I adjust the measurement up or down?

No way to really know.  When I do something like that, I add a bit, taste, and add more as needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Anise Extract
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »
+1 to adding a little and trying it out.

You might keg and carb, pour a pint, add a drop or two of extract, taste, repeat until satisfied and then scale up. 5 drops to 1 pint = 200 drops to 40 pints (195 to 39 pints I guess)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce