Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do yeast starters add significant alcohol content?  (Read 7602 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Do yeast starters add significant alcohol content?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
Sound advice Denny,

The purpose of making a starter is to make yeast, not beer.

Every now and then, OK, frequently, I get the urge to brew something truly massive, thus 5 gallons of a very flavorful, but small beer.

I Keg/bottle that beer on brew day and usually an RIS, BW, or STRONG Scotch Ale goes right on the yeast cake.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

ccarlson

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:56 am »
The best starter is that from a previous batch, as long as it wasn't above 1.060 or so.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:02 am »
White Labs recommends a 1.040 starter.  I don't think 1.040 is a real stressful environment for a yeast, and the amount of time it takes for the sugar to be consumed is fairly short.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:09 am »
White Labs recommends a 1.040 starter.  I don't think 1.040 is a real stressful environment for a yeast, and the amount of time it takes for the sugar to be consumed is fairly short.

No. it's not real stressful, but I feel lower is better.  Tom S., any insights from a pro?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:29 am »
White Labs recommends a 1.040 starter.  I don't think 1.040 is a real stressful environment for a yeast, and the amount of time it takes for the sugar to be consumed is fairly short.

No. it's not real stressful, but I feel lower is better.  Tom S., any insights from a pro?
I haven't tested it, so I can't say for sure.  Standard lab media varies in strength, most labs use between 2-5% glucose for growth, which translates to roughly 1.008 to 1.020.  But research labs aren't trying to grow as much as a brewer is, so I'm not sure it's all that relevant.  There is also very likely to be some strain dependency.

Sorry, not very helpful. :-\
Tom Schmidlin