Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distillery Malt  (Read 2308 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Distillery Malt
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:00:52 pm »
So I have been searching for Organic Malted Rye with little or no luck until today I came across this

http://www.weyermann.de/usa/brprodukte_neu.asp?idkat=80&umenue=yes&idmenue=269&sprache=10

From weyermann. But it is described as distillery malt.

So my question is what's the diff? Is distillery malt malted differently that the stuff we are used to useing? is it less well modified? Overall can I use it to make beer? If yes but... what's the but... do I have to do a protein rest?

**EDIT** and, after reading the website a little more closely, anyone want to go in on 16 25 kilo sacks of organic malted rye?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:07:31 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline farmbrew

• 1st Kit
  • Falkland, Fife, Scotland
Re: Distillery Malt
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

Distillery malts tend to have really high diastatic power for converting lots of starch. The specs I have seen (for barley at least) had a higher FAN/nitrogen content too.

Check out the Weyermann website again - they are pretty good at giving malt specs.

F
FV: Das Kohlbeet Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Rye Saison
In the Bottle: Beetnik Porter, Real cider, Cool Runnings Biere d'Garde, Dug 80/-, Aittin Rye&Juniper Ale

Steeping:
Germination:  

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
Mort, If looking for organic rye have you looked at www.valleymalt.com they have it. Im not a rep but they respond quickly to questions.  My club is going to tour it in June.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:10:33 pm »
Mort, If looking for organic rye have you looked at www.valleymalt.com they have it. Im not a rep but they respond quickly to questions.  My club is going to tour it in June.

I have used that malt, it's good stuff, hard to mill but good stuff. A member here sent me a sample. I am on the west coast and try to keep it local but they are a good company. I have been just using flaked malt instead, I can get that at the co-op for a couple bucks a pound and it works. Someday I'll buy 20 lbs of malted from from valley malt and make a rye wine but until then...
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Distillery Malt
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »
Have you looked ay Seven Bridges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »
Have you looked ay Seven Bridges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oh yes, I buy almost all my ingredients from them. I even called, but they said they didn't have any nor any suppliers. This was a while ago, I have not checked recently because I have been happy with the flaked rye. although the rye IPA I made with the Valley Malt rye was wonderful, I only had a couple lbs and supplemented with flaked.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce