Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid Sugar in the Raw  (Read 3753 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Liquid Sugar in the Raw
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:56:13 pm »
Has anyone used Liquid Sugar in the Raw in a beer?
I saw it in the grocery store and and wondered if it was invert sugar.
I emailed the company and they said it was inverted.
I've made invert sugar and it was kind of pain, so I thought stuff this might work?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Liquid Sugar in the Raw
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »
Cooked "Sugar in the Raw" sounds like an oxymoron. I'm sure it'd be fine in beer, though I don't know what the ppg would be. I think you could figure it out by adding 1/4lb of the syrup to 1 quart of water. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Liquid Sugar in the Raw
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »
Not sure why you'd want to bother with the liquid version...is there a specific reason? 

I've never seen the liquid version but I am guessing that it is probably going to be more expensive per lb., and you're probably paying for added water to boot.

If you need it liquified, it's easy enough to do that step yourself...and as you probably know, by adding a bit of acid blend while heating it, it will become invert sugar. 

Frankly, I've gone through the trouble to get (and once I found out later, to make) invert sugar and used it in in some brews...and decided there was no discernible difference from when I use plain old sugar: white, table sugar, brown (turbinado), or dark brown (muskovado).  The dark brown especially is delightful in Porter and Barleywine/Old Burton Ale.  ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971