Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who Dumps Beer?  (Read 6721 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Who Dumps Beer?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
In the 5 years I've been brewing, I've only dumped 2 batches and one partial. The first was a cider that went south. Turned to vinegar and I didnt know what to do with it, how to handle vinegar or anything....so it became drain cleaner. The second, was a batch of hard lemonade that I made earlier this year from our lemon crop. I may have dumped this one early but it was rowdy and I needed a keg for BEER. Sorry, lemonade...you have to go! The only beer I've ever dumped was an IPA that just had so much astringency, that I couldnt enjoy it. I drank about half of the keg and then just decided not to torture myself anymore. The beer was bad but the feeling I got over how I f*cked it up was worse!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:14 pm »
I've never dumped a batch but years ago I came really close.  I still have no idea what possessed me to think it was a good idea to brew with "Spruce Essense" but it was not a benevolent muse.  My Gin-o-phyle friend Gino loved it so I ended up keeping it around for him and after a couple months I could actually drink one.  It took on sort of a cola/Dr. Pepper kind of flavor.  Ended up being a good exercise in letting things ride.  Someday I may try the freshest of fresh spruce tips but never again will "spruce essense" disgrace my brewlog. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:46 pm »
Spruce beer was the first batch I dumped, and one of the first I brewed.  I stuck with it though and have dumped only two other batches that I can recall.

I've found that even if I don't care for them, generally someone does.  I have a few bottles left of batches that weren't favorites, but I have plenty of room to store bottles.

When I need a keg, I'd rather bottle than dump.  Or buy more kegs.

I haven't been there lately, but in the past when I've found myself with only the least appealing beers left it has been motivation to brew more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 07:29:00 am »
When I started the thread I was mostly thinking of the specific circumstance of developing a recipe and dumping anything that didn't measure up.  But I am appreciative of the testimonials, and I sense this has been cathartic for a lot of you mugs!

I dumped some beer last night, an alt that didn't quite measure up and got displaced.  As it was coming out the picnic tap I took a little taste.  Hmm, not too bad.  Got a small glass, tasted and hmm not too bad.  It didn't stop me from running it out though.  Theres more where that came from, and better.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:41 am »
Have I dumped beer? Yes. Probably 2 or 3 in about 20 years. I won't save a funky tasting beer

Would I dump because it didn't meet expectations and/or a beer style? Heavens no. If it is drinkable (no major flaws) I'll save it or try to make it a little better. Maybe I've got a so-so batch of stout and a so-so pale ale, but by mixing it makes both a little better. Maybe just  dry hopping with improve the beer. I'm not a big fruit beer fan, but maybe adding some cherry or apricot flavoring to it will do the trick.

That said, I have some (really) sweet mead that's been in the bottle for over 10 years. Don't want to throw it. Wonder what would happen if I put a few bottles in at the end of a boil of a lager? Hmm.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:06 am »
My general rule for dumping beer is: if I can't finish the first one or, if after I have finished the first one I really don't want a second one, then its a dumper. No sense keeping kegs around with beer in 'em that I'm never gonna drink.

My feeling exactly, Keith.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:42 am »
I don't dump them until I absolutely need the keg. I've had too many get better with time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:07 am »
I don't dump them until I absolutely need the keg. I've had too many get better with time.

I've kept beers for years waiting for them to get better.  Never happened....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:07 am »

I've kept beers for years waiting for them to get better.  Never happened....

I'm not 100%, but I have definitely had some get better. In fact, I've had some that I hated turn into great beers.

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »
I've dumped 4, maybe 5, over the years.  Usually due to infections. 

I may keep a beer that I don't serve to anyone else and just drink it myself. I don't think I should waste the ingredients or torture my friends.  I do start to worry when I've developed a taste for a bad beer and start thinking about making it again.  8^(

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:18 pm »
I've dumped 4, maybe 5, over the years.  Usually due to infections. 

I may keep a beer that I don't serve to anyone else and just drink it myself. I don't think I should waste the ingredients or torture my friends.  I do start to worry when I've developed a taste for a bad beer and start thinking about making it again.  8^(

Paul

I will admit that I've had a few beers that grew on me as I went through the keg.  Don't know if they were getting better or I was learning to appreciate them.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »
I used a cross-country move to dump my failures from my first year as a homebrewer. The good stuff was consumed. The failures included most of my efforts during a period when I was attempting Belgian pale ales, plus an IPA flavored with fenugreek that was undrinkable by any standard. (Note to self: no spruce, either.)  I will try Belgians again--I am not sure what the problem was, but it was good to focus elsewhere and produce a few drinkable beers.

I consider it a sign of my development as a homebrewer that the only beer I've considered dumping in the last year and a half was a 6-pack experiment where I threw in far too many hops (but I drank it anyway...though I didn't share it!). I've brewed beer that wasn't really all that good, but from a "waste not, want not" point of view, it was good enough to be choked down. :-) 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:17 pm »
I've had some wicked Chlorolphenol problems, those were dumpers, tasted like paint.  Then I bought a filter and filtered out the chlorine!
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 05:51:54 am »
I dumped a couple last month that I brewed for a friend to distill, one was horribly hoppy on purpose, the other had very little hops.  he never got around to distilling them(for a good reason) and I needed the kegs.
Years ago I struggled to drink the first keg of a 10 gallon batch of pale ale that was awful.  After finishing a gallon I turned the rest into malt vinegar which turned out great.  A year later I found the second keg in the beer fridge.  I was about to dump it but I tasted it and it had really turned out magnificent.The flavor I didn't like the year before was still there but very mellow.
If I brew a batch that is subpar I force myself to drink it as punishment.  nothing like a little self flagellation to learn from my mistakes.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 07:09:05 am »
CAP brewed at ale temperature. Did a double batch. Such, SUCH a shame, this would have been a fantastic couple kegs if I had just not been as lazy. Learned my lesson for sure on that one.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!