Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen Flowmeter - Disposable O2 Cans  (Read 3062 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Oxygen Flowmeter - Disposable O2 Cans
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »
Has anyone found a viable flowmeter for the disposable O2 cans from the big box hardware stores?  In the past I had dialed in my flow rate based on looking at the bubbles through the carboy.  This month I purchased a conical (still waiting on delivery) -obsiosly I can't see through the stainless steel so I need a new way to monitor airflow.

I know I could buy a full blown refillable O2 tank with regulator but lets face it, I just bought a conical - the brewing budget is blown!  ;D
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Oxygen Flowmeter - Disposable O2 Cans
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »
i'm not sure I understand.  I just look through the bail opening - if the top of the wort isn't foaming up, I crank the O2 regulator further until I get a visual confirmation.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:01:22 am »
Thanks,  having not recieved the conical yet I was not sure how easy it would be to see signs of bubbling or dicern the flow rate.

Still, in the never ending quest to gain more control, has anyone found a flow meter measuring liters per minute that can be used with the disposable O2 cans?
James Lorden

narvin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
Thanks,  having not recieved the conical yet I was not sure how easy it would be to see signs of bubbling or dicern the flow rate.

Still, in the never ending quest to gain more control, has anyone found a flow meter measuring liters per minute that can be used with the disposable O2 cans?

There's no reason you couldn't hook up something like this.  You'd just need a 1/8" NPT adaptor on the end of the tubing coming from your O2 cylinder.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »
don't see how the "out" works
James Lorden

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:06:09 am »
It's a DISS (Diameter Index Safety System) on the output that is hidden from view on the backside of the unit.  That matches up with the type of tubing/connector that hooks to an oxygen mask.  Not too hard to find if you know someone in an ambulance/doctor's office/hospital.  Or you could buy one here: http://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Mask-High-concentration-adult/dp/B000WI9W7M/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_c
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:22:39 am by fightdman »
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI